Are any Metal Detectors Out There?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also have the AT Pro and really like it. been more than a couple years since I've been out with it. Something this winter I'll runn around our property with it to see what i can find.

Those new to metal detecting I have a strong recommendation. Your detecting will be so much more enjoyable with a proper digging tool and a handheld pinpointer is an absolute must. The Garrett ProPointer is a great one. Not cheap but worth every penny.
I took that advice you gave about the digging tool and Garrett’s pin pointer buying both. Digging tool also came with a probe that’s also handy as heck.
Today was my first day to actually search. Previously I’d only put out known targets To get used to the different sounds.
Searched the back yard finding what is to be expected around a home. Coins, nails, wire, brass (I shoot a lot at the house) and pop tops. Lots of mole trap parts I’d hit with the owner as well.
Amazing how the pop top was 6” deep.
Interesting hobby. Now to go check out some of the old family homesteads.

2DC63199-6698-480A-B05A-04757889CFF1.jpeg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took that advice you gave about the digging tool and Garrett’s pin pointer buying both. Digging tool also came with a probe that’s also handy as heck.
Today was my first day to actually search. Previously I’d only put out known targets To get used to the different sounds.
Searched the back yard finding what is to be expected around a home. Coins, nails, wire, brass (I shoot a lot at the house) and pop tops. Lots of mole trap parts I’d hit with the owner as well.

View attachment 356392

I've got to get the detector I spoke for over a year ago picked up and learn how to use it! (Long story)
Then, I'd love to join you and @Okie4570 searching some of those sites!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

View attachment 356392
That's awesome Dennis. Glad I could give some advice from my real life MD experiences. Those two items were so helful to me that I probably wouldn't have enjoyed detecting as much as I have without them If you have some old homesteads on you properties they could be a treasure trove of cool and somewhat valuable things. If possible I's start detecting around areas that may have been play areas for kids. Out in the yard areas, any swing set locations or placed people would have gathered outside. If you haven't already, I'd get some pennys, nickels, dimes and quarters and have someone go throw them out in the yard and have you go find them so you get used to the sound they make on your detector and if yours has a scaled number range, learn what number range each coin notes at. Better yet see if the other person will bury the coins at different depths. Take a shovel and stomp it into the ground and drop a coin down in there so it gets some depth. For instance, My Garrett AT Pro will make a different sound and read in the 78-82 range compared to a bottle cap that will have a bit different tone and read in the 50-60 range. Mine also gives a fairly accurate depth range up to about 10'-12". Good luck and let us know how it goes on the homesites.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's awesome Dennis. Glad I could give some advice from my real life MD experiences. Those two items were so helful to me that I probably wouldn't have enjoyed detecting as much as I have without them If you have some old homesteads on you properties they could be a treasure trove of cool and somewhat valuable things. If possible I's start detecting around areas that may have been play areas for kids. Out in the yard areas, any swing set locations or placed people would have gathered outside. If you haven't already, I'd get some pennys, nickels, dimes and quarters and have someone go throw them out in the yard and have you go find them so you get used to the sound they make on your detector and if yours has a scaled number range, learn what number range each coin notes at. Better yet see if the other person will bury the coins at different depths. Take a shovel and stomp it into the ground and drop a coin down in there so it gets some depth. For instance, My Garrett AT Pro will make a different sound and read in the 78-82 range compared to a bottle cap that will have a bit different tone and read in the 50-60 range. Mine also gives a fairly accurate depth range up to about 10'-12". Good luck and let us know how it goes on the homesites.
If I get any repeatable signal at depth, especially 10 to 12 inches I will dig it. More often than not it is a silver dime or wheatie.

Another tip, ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS check your hole after you think you have found what you were digging for. I have been very surprised and pleased when I checked the hole again after finding a pull tab and found a Barber quarter on it's edge being masked by the shallower pull tab.

Or the pocket spills that happen all the time. It's not just a penny or two they keep coming.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!
I met a very experienced MD while in AZ this winter. He clued me in on some spots to always check. One I never thought of was around the old homesteads outhouses.
That kind grossed me out but he said it’s nothing but dirt now and not to worry about it. The old timers were always shedding clothes on their way in and putting them back on dropping stuff all the time. Think I’ll take some plastic gloves before poking around in there! 🤮
Can’t wait to get that pinpointer to Colorado to check some streams for gold where the detectors won’t work. It picks up the gold in my wedding ring from 8” away.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!
I met a very experienced MD while in AZ this winter. He clued me in on some spots to always check. One I never thought of was around the old homesteads outhouses.
That kind grossed me out but he said it’s nothing but dirt now and not to worry about it. The old timers were always shedding clothes on their way in and putting them back on dropping stuff all the time. Think I’ll take some plastic gloves before poking around in there! 🤮
Can’t wait to get that pinpointer to Colorado to check some streams for gold where the detectors won’t work. It picks up the gold in my wedding ring from 8” away.
Clotheslines too.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!
That is some great advice I never thought of but makes a lot of sense. Also, what Snattlerake mentioned about clotheslines is genius. Love learning things like this.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!
For Colorado make a couple of crack cleaning tools from some heavy wire or brazing rod to clean cracks in bedrock. A battery powered mini shop vac is handy to clean cracks. Then pan the stuff from the vac.
I have a mini sluice and a pan. We used to go up on the Alamosa river drainage SW of Monte Vista below the area where the old Summitville mine area was. I found a few big flakes in the limited time I had there.
They pulled alot of big nugget gold out of that mine. An old equipment mechanic said they powerwashed nuggets out of the dozer and excavator tracks.
The small creeks in that area would be worth the time to explore

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!
Hey DS skip the pinpointer for gold. Most gold that is floating free is smaller than a pinhead. The PP will sound on your ring with no problem since it 10k times bigger than most gold in the ground. I used to do a fair amount of prospecting in CO when I was stationed at Carson. The gold I found wouldn't even make a pinky ring for a newborn child.
The outhouses are a different story. They were used as a regular garbage pits as well. There you can find really old bottles that can be worth some money.
Good source of info:
https://www.treasurenet.com/forums/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For Colorado make a couple of crack cleaning tools from some heavy wire or brazing rod to clean cracks in bedrock. A battery powered mini shop vac is handy to clean cracks. Then pan the stuff from the vac.
I have a mini sluice and a pan. We used to go up on the Alamosa river drainage SW of Monte Vista below the area where the old Summitville mine area was. I found a few big flakes in the limited time I had there.
They pulled alot of big nugget gold out of that mine. An old equipment mechanic said they powerwashed nuggets out of the dozer and excavator tracks.
The small creeks in that area would be worth the time to explore
Awesome! I'll be in the Monte Vista area next summer for a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom