Any Recent New Vehicle Buyers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
We drive Jeeps, and Dodge Ram Trucks, and have sinse 1997. We have A 2010 Wrangler Sport, with 140,000 miles, that has been well taken care of. We gave $25,000.00 new for this Jeep, and decided to check into buying a new one just like it, even the same color. The sticker on 2023 Jeep was $48,000.00, and you could hardly tell them apart! We decided to take the excise tax, tag and increase in insurence money, and go to Hawaii next moneth on a cruse for our 56th anniversary!! We rented a Jeep Wrangler to drive around Maui!!

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI - I have been educating myself on new car purchases recently and watched several youtube videos from a couple of guys that call themselves CarEdge.com. You might check out their videos. Their website has some possible short-term options to subscribe for help. Actually connects you to a coach that they have on-staff that knows the 'games' played by dealerships. They have some pricing tools on how to best negotiate the out-the-door price on new cars and probably used cars too.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FYI - I have been educating myself on new car purchases recently and watched several youtube videos from a couple of guys that call themselves CarEdge.com. You might check out their videos. Their website has some possible short-term options to subscribe for help. Actually connects you to a coach that they have on-staff that knows the 'games' played by dealerships. They have some pricing tools on how to best negotiate the out-the-door price on new cars and probably used cars too.
Negotiating price on new cars is easy, if you have the fortitude to do it. Most don't, they see something they think they got to have and succumb to the sales pitch and pressure to get it.
I research the type of vehicle I want, mechanical issues, average selling price, financing ( in my younger days). Then I find what I'm looking for, make a out the door reasonable offer. Don't haggle if they wont accept, walk out out after leaving your name and number. And stating that's my offer if you change your mind call me.
My last new vehicle purchase was exactly that at three dealerships. The wife and I decided to get some lunch and the first dealership called and said they would accept our offer. Before we finished lunch the 3rd dealership we visited called and would accept our offer. My wife liked the last one best of all so we went back and purchased it for the out the door offer. That was also the first vehicle I financed in 15yrs because I got 0% interest. Paid payments 9 months then paid it off, just for a credit score bump.

PS: Dealerships have a sales quota to meet per month if rated by manufacturer. Better to shop at the end of the month, if they haven't met that quota more willing to make the sale.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Last new one we bought was my wife's 22' Ford bronco from Diffee. Worst vehicle buying experience overall ever, will not buy anything from them again new or used and will never buy a new Ford period from any dealer. When you're in your truck in their parking lot and you ask for your salesman and they put you on hold and then tell you he's not there leave a voice mail, and you ask for the sales manager and they put you on hold and they tell you he's not there and they tell you to leave a voice mail and then I asked for the owner and they just said he's not there either................all the while remember I'm sitting in my truck, at the dealer, on the north side of their office, and I can see all three of them standing there by the salesman's office talking to each other lol. Top that off by having to use a Ford dealer in Iowa and North Carolina to answer questions about the bronco ordering process that Diffee could never answer. I wasn't impressed much with anything other than they stuck with their MSRP quote, still had to fight for my deposit to be subtracted from the MSRP but finally got it done.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last new vehicle was a 2020 F-250. Walked into the dealership, refused all the vehicles on the lot and had the dealership build the one I wanted with all the options on paper. Asked MSRP, gave an offer and was promptly told all vehicles are selling at MSRP and there were no discounts.
So, as we usually do, started calling every dealership we could find all over the state and Ks, requesting to talk to their internet sales rep.
I would send them a copy of the worksheet and ask if they wanted to deal on the truck. Some said yes, some no.
The ones that said yes sent a formal offer that was used to play with other dealerships against each other.
Every one but the dealer in Enid finally dropped out.
Took his offer to the sales guy that originally told me there were no discounts. He said he would match it. Nope, you’re gonna have to beat it because The other dealership bid first. He never blinked an eye and knocked off another’s $500. Overall we saved over 3 grand just by doing some phone work.
The truck was ordered and delivered two weeks later.
Edit: this is the third new vehicle we have ordered using this method.

User_3155

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be prepared to travel if you want to "deal". Otherwise bend over and take whatever they give you. I drove 7 hours each way to get the 2022 vehicle my wife wanted. I don't have the patience or brain power to negotiate, and all dealers know this is true for just about everyone who walks through their doors. I just want to buy a freaking vehicle, not play games for hours / days / weeks. It's a real CF out there now and I don't see it getting any better for the foreseeable future; likely only worse.

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We traded in the wife’s 2020 Honda odyssey at the beginning of the year. Weren’t really planning on it but it tried to kill us twice and started having some electrical issues. Got a new 22 Expedition at msrp. Depending on how popular the model is and what options are on it we were seeing 2-3k under msrp for 2 wheel drive models then msrp/msrp plus for 4wd.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last negotiation for a new car in our house was done by our youngest. She wanted to trade-in her current car and get something else. I said if you want it you'll need to do the dealin' and she did.

After it was all said and done she had traded in her 2020 Audio for a 2023 Mazda CX-5 (I think that's the right model) and kept the same payment. She initially said she'd take one of the extended warranties, but ultimately decided against it and we got that money back and applied it as a payment to the principal.

I told her she could help her mom buy her next car . . . :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom