Any recommendations on a Shortwave radio?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to blow your mind, do an internet search for “fcc frequency band chart”. Open the images, pick one of the rainbows and study it. You will quickly see there is little unused radio ”room” available, and you can understand why you should know what you’re doing!

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our great leader is recommending us to get an emergency radio; the one thing I think that has come out of this administration that may actually be a good idea.

Any recommendations?
For your original question, I was not aware you had a request from a particular individual. But this is also where if you have a ham radio HF unit, you will have everything covered for standard US AM broadcast and world wide SW bands depending on your antenna and band conditions. Many 2 meter or 70 centimeter radios particularly HT's will listen to the FM broadcast radio bands also. Virtually all of our higher powered equipment is 12VDC powered. Inexpensive (under $30) power supply to use in the house off of 120VAC, 12V 20 Amp from any other source, even off your car battery if needed or to be mobile.

Last edited:

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These days one doesn't have to learn Morse Code from what I hear so that makes it a little easier to obtain a license.

In Boy Scouts back in the 60’s Morse Code was part of the Signaling Merit Badge. I sucked at it. Semaphore was the other option. I rocked semaphore. Not much use for that in the real world…

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of these for a receiver. I really need to play with it on the ham bands and get it figured out.

https://www.amazon.com/Eton-Grundig-Satellit-750-Ultimate/dp/B0014T7W8Y
Looks like a very nice receiver. Just as a starting point, for Ham bands, anything below 9Mz will be lower side band. 40 and 80 meters will have more traffic in the evenings and through the night. 12 through 20 meter mostly in the daytime will be stronger. For receiving, any long wire will work pretty well, especially if you can get it outside and above the ground to a tree or pole. You can go to QRZ.com and look up the call signs you hear to find where they are located. Hope you enjoy listening.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes as Poke78 stated, April 8-9 will be the Green Country Hamfest at the Claremore Expo Center, you can find detailed info on line. This will be the biggest ham radio swap meet in this area. $10 at the door with all kinds of new and used equipment, ham radio, short wave receivers, computer equipment, anything electronic, etc. for sale and a test bench to check everything out before you buy it. Free door prize give aways with hourly drawings and some neat radio grand prizes at the end you do not have to be present to win with.

If you decide to attend, come by the Mayes County Ameture Radio Club (MCARC) tables and say hello and introduce yourself. I am Ken, the guy with the cigar. We are raffling off a Blackstone Griddle at 1PM Saturday also as a fundraiser. You are welcome to PM me if you would like also.
This is the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom