Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a recurve bow to start hunting with, but I don't know anything about them really. What brand and model would you recommend? Also what poundage is best for hunting?
I've always been fond of Hoyt, are they a top player in the recurve world also?
Thanks.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't taken the plunge on the traditional archery yet but my father in law bought a Samick longbow about a month ago and loves it. I went over to his place and shot around the backyard a bit and I really enjoyed it. I don't think you'll go wrong as long as you get a draw weight that fits you and the bow doesn't have warped limbs.

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
jmiller45, google tradgang and check out that forum. lots of good info for traditional shooters. Once you are familiar there, check out the used bows. You can get a lot of good deals on custom bows. Those guys trade a lot of bows before they find something they like. I shoot a Bob Lee recurve and a Toelke Whip longbow.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been shooting a pse sable for the past couple of years and got a doe with it this year. I found a good deal on a Black Widow and bought it and am going to sell the pse. You could come shoot it and see if you liked it sometime.

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Black widows are awesome bow's as well. Lot of bowyers making bows these days in all parts of the US. You can get good deals on used ones. I also have an old Herters and a Damon Howett I purchased on the action site. both recurves.

craigkindlesmith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a PSE Impala. I hear good things about them. The main reason I'm looking at them is if I ever pull the McAlester Ammo Plant controlled hunt, that's all you can use is a traditional bow.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a blackwidow long bow. 62'' long and 64#@28. I love the widow bows! For something a little less expensive, go with a G.W. Flanigan. He lives and Madill and builds bows. Wonderful...wonderful guy and workmanship. His bow are becoming really wide spread. I know at least one of his bows won the Big Mac traditional shoot in Aug. And every first place finish at Sulpher traditional shoot went to a Flanigan bow. I have his number somewhere if you want it.

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tend to agree with the crown Black Widows are pretty much top of the line for traditional. Hoyt GameMaster II is an awesome bow though it has a new age look and is an excellent shooter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom