Any veterinary folk here? My pup died today and I have questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am saddened to hear this. I can’t imagine life without my dogs. I’ve had one ever since I was born. The loss of them never gets easier. I’ve lost two of mine over the last 4 years. One died of cancer and the other had a spinal injury and couldn’t walk anymore and couldn’t control his bowels. In certain instances I would suggest getting more than one opinion as sometimes doctors can make mistakes. Three of my dogs we took in back on 2004 all had parvo and worms. One of them was extremely emaciated. I was told by my vet that the two bigger pups would live and the skinny one wouldn’t. Well, the opposite happened. The healthier looking ones succumbed to parvo and the one that looked the worst made it. He is one I lost 3 years ago. But I’m thankful for the time I had with him. He was a great dog. I will pray for y’all as I know how much it hurts.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So very sorry to hear about your pet, my condolences.
Not having examined her, I can't comment specifically about this case. However, cases don't always go as we hope and think, sometimes the patient we think is hopeless survives, and vice versa. I'm sure in retrospect your vet wishes he referred you or at least re-examined her, but it sounds like in his professional opinion (which in this case was obviously wrong) she wasn't that severely affected. Definitely let the vet know, maybe he can learn and help someone else in the future.

Scott Ames

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss, Papillons quickly become a beloved part of your family. We had one who had a very similar thing happen and she passed away from congestive heart failure. In hindsight Your pup should have probably been put on Lasix in addition to the Enalipril and kept over night on oxygen until the medications had time to ease the load on her heart. Letting one go home with fast of a respiratory rate is a bad idea. Not a vet but I am a human doc.

If you have any questions I will be happy to try to answer them.

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.

1626890073808.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom