Anybody here use Starlink?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m most interested in this discussion of Starlink, as my current DSL is only 15 mbps down, 2 up, despite the presence of fiber optic in the new subdivision across the street. Windstream is being very pokey about bringing such a line to my side of the street, and I have no other options besides Viasat and Hughes, so Starlink is an attractive option.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear you on that one man. The reason I ordered the Starlink is because my only other option was Hughes net. The ****** part is there is a year-old fiber optic cable no more than 20 feet from my front door but they will not service my house.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t speak indian, but I’m pretty sure Sunjay from Dubai…I mean Bill from Wichita got my viasat cancelled this afternoon. When he asked me to give feedback about their service, I‘m pretty sure he didn’t appreciate my responses. I was very emphatic that it was piss poor at best.
It always pisses me off when you call to cancel cable or internet service they automatically have better plans and rates to offer if you’ll stay. I told the guy that if they wanted to keep my business they should’ve upped their game a couple or three years ago, and at this point, I wouldn’t stay with them if they gave me the piss poor service.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I think I'm gonna just bite the bullet and mount it to my windmill tower. If I mount it on the roof anywhere it'll always have some sort of obstruction. It's working pretty well, don't get me wrong, but might as well do it once and forget about it. I figure up about where the arrow is...the tower itself is 30'.
I ordered the 150ft cable a few days ago. It's about 100ft from the house to the tower so I should have about 10ft of excess once it's run up the tower and into the house.

received_848660080213372.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I think I'm gonna just bite the bullet and mount it to my windmill tower. If I mount it on the roof anywhere it'll always have some sort of obstruction. It's working pretty well, don't get me wrong, but might as well do it once and forget about it. I figure up about where the arrow is...the tower itself is 30'.
I ordered the 150ft cable a few days ago. It's about 100ft from the house to the tower so I should have about 10ft of excess once it's run up the tower and into the house.

View attachment 399369
I’ve had mine sitting out in the yard since I first hooked it up, and I finally figured out how I wanted to mount it today. It actually seems to be working better now.
IMG_3449.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had mine sitting out in the yard since I first hooked it up, and I finally figured out how I wanted to mount it today. It actually seems to be working better now.
View attachment 399383
Since you got the mobile service, are you going to take it to your Ok place during season?
I’m getting very tired of the poor internet and WiFi services most of these RV parks offer when traveling. Call them when booking and ask specifically if they have great WiFi and the standard answer is “we have the best”. Upon arrival, you might get one bar of signal with dismal speed until late evening when everyone but me goes to bed and you get two bars. When complaining about the service, the stock answer is “ one of the repeaters is down”. On my daily walks, there are no repeaters.
We have cell boosters, WiFi boosters and so on, but when the signal is junk to start with, a booster only boosts the junk.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More rambling but here is my predicament. It is currently on the ground as far as the factory cable will reach at approximately where the blue arrows line starts, and it automatically directs itself where it needs which is basically pointing at those huge trees in front of blue arrow. I can run it out of basically that corner of the house to where the blue dot is at the end of the white arrow and it's about a 100 feet out and that's where the windmill tower is now. If I go up about 25 feet from there it will still point the same general direction which is the yellow arrow and that is a clearing with open sky except for a few shorter trees in the distance but I think those will be a non-issue completely.
On the roof anywhere it will still point that general direction and be facing that tall wall of thick treed area.

received_1346144219590783.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom