Anybody here use Starlink?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you mount it on the roof ridge (south east ridge) with it looking upwards, does it not clear the trees?

If it doesn't clear, how about using the far west roof ridge? Would that extra tree set-back help enough?

Obviously, the tower looks clear of obstructions.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More rambling but here is my predicament. It is currently on the ground as far as the factory cable will reach at approximately where the blue arrows line starts, and it automatically directs itself where it needs which is basically pointing at those huge trees in front of blue arrow. I can run it out of basically that corner of the house to where the blue dot is at the end of the white arrow and it's about a 100 feet out and that's where the windmill tower is now. If I go up about 25 feet from there it will still point the same general direction which is the yellow arrow and that is a clearing with open sky except for a few shorter trees in the distance but I think those will be a non-issue completely.
On the roof anywhere it will still point that general direction and be facing that tall wall of thick treed area.

View attachment 399465
Seen that one before . . . seems to me that was the OSU 'play of the week' awhile back (quarterback {white arrow} got sacked) 🤔

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way the MSM was describing starlink satellites as being darn near covering every square foot of sky, I'd think you'd have more choices in which way your dish is pointing. Are they still in process of deploying more satellites or are they done for a while? Also is there any signal loss depending on length of cable?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you got the mobile service, are you going to take it to your Ok place during season?
I’m getting very tired of the poor internet and WiFi services most of these RV parks offer when traveling. Call them when booking and ask specifically if they have great WiFi and the standard answer is “we have the best”. Upon arrival, you might get one bar of signal with dismal speed until late evening when everyone but me goes to bed and you get two bars. When complaining about the service, the stock answer is “ one of the repeaters is down”. On my daily walks, there are no repeaters.
We have cell boosters, WiFi boosters and so on, but when the signal is junk to start with, a booster only boosts the junk.
My iPad is cellular, so I really don’t need wifi up there. My wife has suggested we might take it when she comes up with me. I’m planning to buy an extra cable, so all I would need is the modem and the satellite dish.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way the MSM was describing starlink satellites as being darn near covering every square foot of sky, I'd think you'd have more choices in which way your dish is pointing. Are they still in process of deploying more satellites or are they done for a while? Also is there any signal loss depending on length of cable?

They are always launching more satellites yes.

For me it's just a choice of trying for optimal, do it once and do it right instead of drilling holes in my roof and always wondering.

For clarification, its had 52 seconds total of "obstruction" over the last 12hrs. Could he trees, could be clouds....who knows. Id say thats minimal and not a big deal. Maybe this is all for nothing...just doesn't seem to make sense to me to go the clearly "less than optimal" mounting route when the obviously ideal solution is standing in the middle of the yard.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stupid update of sorts. I had some "obstructions" as previously mentioned. They still show up on the obstruction finder, but it says no obstructions. My understanding is it kinda learns where regular obstructions are and avoids them. Like it follows one satellite until it would put the signal to where it gets obstructed, then instead of continuing to follow, it picks up a different satellite so you don't get that obstruction. Still gonna put it on the windmill tower though, the longer cable finally shipped today. Took longer to get a cable than it did to get the original system.

Screenshot_20230818-213618_Starlink.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you posted this, I realized I’ve never checked for obstructions and had to look up how to do it. It shows I have a 360* unobstructed view of the satellites.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put up a deposit in April of 2022 to get in line for Starlink residential service. $99 deposit. Star link predicted it would be early 2023 timeline.

I was notified this week - late August 2023 - that my turn had come up. The cost of the monthly service has increased 20% in that time, and equipment costs increased about 15%. Monthlyservuce is now $120.

Still, 25-100 Mbps, when I'm getting about 1.5 (yes, one and a half) now at a cost of $50/month with AtLink. Dish Network is going bye-bye too.

Equipment should be here in a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom