Anybody using solar power as part of their preps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My bad, reading is fundamental! I was thinking 150' from the panels to the batteries. That's pretty much a no go. I didn't notice the panels would be on a shop building. I don't think you would have any trouble going from the inverter to your house. A good heavy extension cord should be able to run a freezer or refrigerator without a huge problem assuming you have the storage capacity.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's great info, guys. Thanks! My ideal situation in an outage would be to be able to run a fridge/freezer, some LED backup lighting strips, a space heater, and my fireplace blower. I'm also thinking of running one solar well pump setup as well as maybe a small setup for my storm shelter. I figure that in the shelter it'd be nice to have some LED lanterns on a float charger and to be able to run a small fan. Can you guys recommend any good write-ups/tutorials on wattage/amperage, loading, power draw, etc.?
Forget about an electric space heater. They will draw more than the rest of the stuff you quoted. For backup heat look at a portable propane or kerosene heater. I have a large kerosene heater, mainly for the shop, and a little buddy propane heater. There are a lot of sites with information. You might want to look at http://www.wholesalesolar.com. They have quite a bit of information on small to midsize solar systems.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forget about an electric space heater. They will draw more than the rest of the stuff you quoted. For backup heat look at a portable propane or kerosene heater. I have a large kerosene heater, mainly for the shop, and a little buddy propane heater. There are a lot of sites with information. You might want to look at http://www.wholesalesolar.com. They have quite a bit of information on small to midsize solar systems.

I have a kerosene heater. I didn't realize that the small space heaters would draw that many amps. It's definitely good to know. Thanks again for the info.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most small space heaters draw 1500 to 1800 watts. That would take a lot of solar cells to run it for just an hour.

Little buddy makes 2 small heaters a 9,000 but and a 18,000 btu. You can get a conversion hose that will connect to a 20 or 30 lb bottle.

The 18,000 will run for 3 days on a 30 lb bottle as long as it is not freezing cold. During this last weekend, it was not quite making the full 3 days.
It worked great to keep a rent house warm enough to keep the water from freezing while it had no electricity.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
solar will someday be more of a 'have' for easy 'green' than a prep. Guess they want to keep throwin up Big ars propellers that come apart and litter the country side, as well as change the natural flow of things..... etc

Latest posts

Top Bottom