Small inverter generator PSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a former small engine mechanic, I will tell you that those engines Honda uses are all made in China. Right along with the motors for the HF, and other, gens. Likely the only difference is that the Honda motors have a case mold with their brand name in it where the others use a plain mold. It's the same with carbs for weed-whackers, chainsaws, and mowers.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a former small engine mechanic, I will tell you that those engines Honda uses are all made in China. Right along with the motors for the HF, and other, gens. Likely the only difference is that the Honda motors have a case mold with their brand name in it where the others use a plain mold. It's the same with carbs for weed-whackers, chainsaws, and mowers.
The engine is only half of the equation.

Coleman put a Yamaha engine on my generator. That thing will outlast 3 or 4 of the generators with good maintenance. It’s a beast of an engine and the generator is decent but no where near the engine that powers it. You gotta consider the whole package.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my experience with both honda and yamaha is that they are real good units. my experience with the HF gens is that the ones i have have run long enough trouble free that i don't care it it quits me now cause i can replace them for a fraction of the cost of name brand. and so far they show no singe of trouble.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got one of these for camping trips just a couple weeks ago and it works like a clock. lots of youtube videos on them also.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085828BQ6?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
gen.jpg

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yamaha 2000 here. Use it on trips to Lake Powell on the boat for a week. It will run in ECO mode which is very quiet while running a 6000 BTU A/C unit for almost 10 hours on one tank. Only thing is when I change the oil notice it has no fuel filter. Was it left out for an engineering reason or to cut cost?
edit; But it cost twice as the Gen referenced above. ^^

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm picking up a Predator 8750 this weekend. Not the inverter model.
Is less than 300 hours decent for a used one ?
$400 so about half the cost of new.

sturgisrun

Remember Flight 93
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DO NOT, under any circumstances, buy the 1200-watt GenMax inverter generator from Lowe's. It's a POS! Ordered one to use to power a string of lights at a booth at the Asian Night Market Festival this weekend. Got it delivered and immediately tested it out. I wouldn't run for crap! As a certified small engine mechanic, I tried tinkering with it. I got it to run a little bit, but not good enough.

I finally broke down today and went to Harbor Freight and got their 1400-watt inverter. It purrs like kitten!

Rant over.
Solar Generators…I have 14 and unlimited perpetual fuel and all are Pure Sine. And they are silent- in a SHTF World nobody will hear them running. Plus I use them daily around my house and have cut my draw from The Grid by 35-40%

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
UPDATE!

I took the GenMax to Lowe's to return it. It seems the GenMax generators need a "Return Authorization" number from the GenMax before Lowe's can give me a refund.

Of course, you have to call them to get this number and all their operators are constantly busy with other clients. Sound suspicious? Nah, not in the least!

Left a message. Bet they don't call back.
I would make it Lowes' problem really fast. I would grab the store manager, not a flunky, sit him down with me in his office and let him listen to the BS GenMax is floating. If I didn't get any satisfaction, I would find the area manager then on up the chain and DOCUMENT every bit of it with video.

Option 2, go directly to one of the TV stations that help people after being screwed.

Old Noob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Solar Generators…I have 14 and unlimited perpetual fuel and all are Pure Sine. And they are silent- in a SHTF World nobody will hear them running. Plus I use them daily around my house and have cut my draw from The Grid by 35-40%
I have two of them, a Energizer 300 and 600. Wanting to get a larger one like 1500-2000.

Latest posts

Top Bottom