Anyone here reloads primers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If You Dont know the difference (without googling it) Between deflagrating and detonation
Then I suggest you stay away from the chemistry set, Heisenberg.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when you get some made up you got to test them by hitting them with a hammer !
Speaking of hitting with a hammer. Guy in a nearby town blew his hand off making fireworks with black powder in copper tubing. Seems he thought it would be louder if he crimped the ends and sealed them with some hammer blows. Black powder doesn't like that.

Darth-Vang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Considering the national expert on HME blew is hand off, in a controlled environment I think I’ll abstain. Make no mistake, that’s exactly what you’re playing with. There’s also been at least one PROFESSIONAL blow himself up manufacturing lead styphnate for primers. I’m 100% okay with buying primers vs trying to make them.
In a home setting, it’ll be made in very small batches, I have no intent on manufacturing on a very large scale for sale production. If it does go off, it’ll be a small explosion with ears ringing. Small batch=Small explosion. But the same could be said for those who make blackpowder. Blackpowder can be offset by heat and friction. Which is catastrophic if it does explode upon manufacturing, causing damages and death on property. Considering that danger and yet people still make blackpowder in himemade tumbler with lead media. People also make aluminum powder which is also dangerous if you don’t let air in the tumbler once in a while as the aluminum gets turn into finer particles(surface areas). It needs more oxygen to oxidize itself. Failure to let oxygen in the tumbler can have catastrophic results as the now oxygen deprived aluminum powder would want to draw in more oxygen if given the right circumstance it could be disastrous…

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of hitting with a hammer. Guy in a nearby town blew his hand off making fireworks with black powder in copper tubing. Seems he thought it would be louder if he crimped the ends and sealed them with some hammer blows. Black powder doesn't like that.
used to get my dad's Hilti and Ramset shot out of his tool box on his truck and hit them with a hammer im sure he was pissed when he went to get some they were all gone. he never said a thing though!

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a home setting, it’ll be made in very small batches, I have no intent on manufacturing on a very large scale for sale production. If it does go off, it’ll be a small explosion with ears ringing. Small batch=Small explosion. But the same could be said for those who make blackpowder. Blackpowder can be offset by heat and friction. Which is catastrophic if it does explode upon manufacturing, causing damages and death on property. Considering that danger and yet people still make blackpowder in himemade tumbler with lead media. People also make aluminum powder which is also dangerous if you don’t let air in the tumbler once in a while as the aluminum gets turn into finer particles(surface areas). It needs more oxygen to oxidize itself. Failure to let oxygen in the tumbler can have catastrophic results as the now oxygen deprived aluminum powder would want to draw in more oxygen if given the right circumstance it could be disastrous…
Yes, those are things that could be dangerous. What you’re failing to see is the difference between the two. I’m not even positive you can manufacture lead styphnate without an explosives permit.

You’re wanting to manufacture primary explosives. Even in small quantities, it’s enough to need help opening pickle jars forever. A #7 cap weighs a bit over 12 grains IIRC off the top of my head. You can find some sweet pictures of f****d up hands and one mangled face from people doing dumb **** with detonators. Primary explosives typically aren’t as strong, but they love to blow up. Bang a graduated cylinder against the counter and you’ll get 50% off gloves.

I’ve been at a factory where they were pressing granulated C4 into bricks about 5 feet from me. Stuff like that, messing with factory made secondary explosives isn’t a big deal. Primary explosives require a different level of care. And I WILL NOT be around someone’s home made stuff. It’s about as safe as smoking a cigarette in someone’s travel trailer meth lab.

Latest posts

Top Bottom