Anyone interested in getting on a hunting lease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a lease over by Hominy once. 880 acres with 6 Hunters. We got a topo map, and drew out zones for each mini lease. The agreement was that each hunter had their own 146 acres to hunt. You were not allowed to cross into the other mini lease within the overall lease unless you had permission from that lessee.
It actually worked out well. Turkey, quail, dove, etc, there were no restrictions on hunting anywhere.
lol you are talking about 146 acres. 7stw thinks you need 32 square miles to hunt on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
lol you are talking about 146 acres. 7stw thinks you need 32 square miles to hunt on.
This was a working cattle ranch as well. Some huge bucks came off that property. I have two on my wall.
For the record, one of my best hunting spots for deer is 22 acres of mixed timber in the middle of hundreds of acres of wheat/milo/corn.
The biggest buck taken in the county I hunt in was shot on a 7 acre patch of woods according to what the GW Supervisor in that county that scored it told me. B&C quality.
Everybody has their preference in what they consider prime hunting territory.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt several qtrs and a couple of 80's we own. You don't need large tracts but they're my preference. Actually I prefer hunting on the 640 million acres we as Americans own. Texas Oklahoma Kansas Eastern Nebraska and the north east have minuet amounts of it. Where as Arizona Nevada New Mexico Utah Idaho Oregon etc. are comprised of hundreds of thousands of acres of it. Personally I'd rather spend the money and take a few DIY trips to Idaho Colorado Nevada Utah etc. than spend the money for a lease around here. (I go on at least two out of state hunting trips a year anyway). On a side note my most productive coyote spot in Oklahoma is 65 acres surrounded by houses and apartments in Oklahoma county. Whereas on trips to western Nebraska we might only see one or two per section but can kill 10-15 in two days verses knowing you can kill one a week on average off 65 acres. And to the public land "to many people" detractors I've never seen another human who wasn't in our group of three in our elk spot in Colorado.

Trivial pissing contests aside go hunt whatever's available and enjoy the outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
This was a working cattle ranch as well. Some huge bucks came off that property. I have two on my wall.
For the record, one of my best hunting spots for deer is 22 acres of mixed timber in the middle of hundreds of acres of wheat/milo/corn.
The biggest buck taken in the county I hunt in was shot on a 7 acre patch of woods according to what the GW Supervisor in that county that scored it told me. B&C quality.
Everybody has their preference in what they consider prime hunting territory.
I know deer can get big anywhere. Does the lease I am on, which is not my lease, seem like it would be to much hunting pressure? It works out to 420 acres per lease holder. Hell, I bet 1/3-1/2 only hunt a 2-3 weekends a year. I am just trying to figure out how someone would hunt whitetail and use 32 square miles.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunt several qtrs and a couple of 80's we own. You don't need large tracts but they're my preference. Actually I prefer hunting on the 640 million acres we as Americans own. Texas Oklahoma Kansas Eastern Nebraska and the north east have minuet amounts of it. Where as Arizona Nevada New Mexico Utah Idaho Oregon etc. are comprised of hundreds of thousands of acres of it. Personally I'd rather spend the money and take a few DIY trips to Idaho Colorado Nevada Utah etc. than spend the money for a lease around here. (I go on at least two out of state hunting trips a year anyway). On a side note my most productive coyote spot in Oklahoma is 65 acres surrounded by houses and apartments in Oklahoma county. Whereas on trips to western Nebraska we might only see one or two per section but can kill 10-15 in two days verses knowing you can kill one a week on average off 65 acres. And to the public land "to many people" detractors I've never seen another human who wasn't in our group of three in our elk spot in Colorado.

Trivial pissing contests aside go hunt whatever's available and enjoy the outdoors.

So your point is you do not like to lease land? I am really trying to figure out why you decided to jump into a thread that was really only informational and start talking about how much this lease sucks. It does not matter to me if no one on this forum joins. I just wanted to know what your point was.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on your area and what your hunting. Elk hunting. 3-4 of us use 15,000 acres on a private ranch. Since the Elk seem to prefer about 1/10th of that ranch, It can get crowded as a posse of 4 people walking up a mountain are pretty for the elk to spot.
I'm not familiar with the area your talking about, so I'll not pass judgement on it because I don't know how much is prime hunting territory and how much is just land that is not hunt-able but within the lease boundary's.
It all depends on the numbers of game, and how much is actually good hunting terrain.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Poke - I appreciate the info. I would jump on this lease except I am having both knees replaced in the fall. Please keep me in mind the following year if you can remember. I cannot imagine that type of acreage to hunt on, heck I thought my little piece of land was HUGE at 1% of that. Good info, thanks.

David

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So your point is you do not like to lease land? I am really trying to figure out why you decided to jump into a thread that was really only informational and start talking about how much this lease sucks. It does not matter to me if no one on this forum joins. I just wanted to know what your point was.

I never said your current lease sucks. And correct I am blessed that I don't have to lease any land solely for hunting. (Do have several for pasture though) I forgot the Internet isn't the place for opinion as you missed my whole point in my first post about how that would be a good opportunity for all the people here and elsewhere who are constantly looking for land to lease to hunt on. Then you interjected with your comments afterwards and I replied. Forgot the mantra that used to be so prevalent here thought maybe times had finally changed around here my mistake. (Dftft). Agin good luck on getting the rest of your lease filled.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
When you said "droves of people" it was intended to be rude. It is not my lease, I am just giving information. I am on the lease if no one else joins. I would actually rather pay $2000 and cut the number in half and charge extra for any quests that are hunting.
But, it is not my lease, I was just sharing information.
Do you really think that is thread was the best place for your opinion about Oklahoma hunting leases?
If you do not want information about joining why would you even post?
I never said your current lease sucks. And correct I am blessed that I don't have to lease any land solely for hunting. (Do have several for pasture though) I forgot the Internet isn't the place for opinion as you missed my whole point in my first post about how that would be a good opportunity for all the people here and elsewhere who are constantly looking for land to lease to hunt on. Then you interjected with your comments afterwards and I replied. Forgot the mantra that used to be so prevalent here thought maybe times had finally changed around here my mistake. (Dftft). Agin good luck on getting the rest of your lease filled.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pokinfun,
I'm not really sure why this thread had devolved, because what you're offering sounds like a really good deal (to me). I see threads posted all fall BEGGING someone to tell them where they can hunt or take them hunting, and after your offering and the reaction it's getting, those guys aren't getting ANY sympathy from me (IMO too far isn't a valid reason if you really want to hunt).:thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom