Anyone reprogrammed a Chevy key fob remote?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys,

Trying to program a used key fob remote I bought for an 04 Tahoe (old one got damaged). From all of my research, it is the correct keyfob (15132197). I replaced battery, and even brought the fob by Autozone to use their signal checker for remotes to verify it was putting out a signal.

Followed the same instructions I have found everywhere online:

1- Close all the vehicle doors.
2- Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
3- Press and hold the DOOR unlock switch.
4- While holding the DOOR lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
5- Release the DOOR unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
6- Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one keyless remote. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds , the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
7- Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
8- Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (one more click forward) position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.

When I get to #6 nothing happens. I've tried maybe 20 times and held the buttons down for as long as 3 minutes. Driving me insane and I really don't want a trip to the dealer.

Anyone have any experience doing this?

Thanks,

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not being smart, but when you cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF, you're not starting the car, right?

Correct - the car locks and unlocks after #5 to show it's in the correct mode to receive key fob signal.

i was undoing auto door lock on ford explorer tried off & on for 2 weeks . Today it worked

Hopefully I don't have to spend 2 weeks on it...

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it's now starting to make sense that the problem is the receiver in the car and not the remote... Perhaps the old one wasn't damaged, it was the receiver that went bad..

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im not a locksmith but i am a tech and rekey locks and program FOBs all the time

your car locks and unlocks after step 5 so the reciever is working. you should take your old FOB to autozoo and confirm that it is dead.

i had a truck do the same thing to me after i tried for about an hour. i finally gave up and decided to unhook the battery. i have to admit that doing so rarely fixes electrical problems for me but it worked this time! it programmed on the first try.

OliverKlohzoff

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've done quite a few of them. It sounds like you're doing the right thing. The problem may be dirty/sticky buttons on the remote. I fix those GM remotes all the time. Crack it open, clean up the gunk, lightly steel wool all the metal contacts(board too) and slightly bend the contact tabs up so that they make better contact on the board. That fixes those remotes 95% of the time.

Also, verify 3 volts on the battery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom