Anyone shoot .224 Valkyrie?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you do, how is it a distance? I mean over 800 yds. Looking at the Bear Creek AR upper in either 22 or 24" barrel. Going to use just for distance accuracy.
Going to have good glass and carried with 6920 Colt. Want the regular AR 556/223 in the same carry bag with a complete upper so I can shoot both close and out to 1,000 yards with one gun.
Help. I've looked at all the utube reviews and that's of no use as they all are equal hate and love. Plus the difference for 22" to 24" pros and cons are not existent.
Again, help. Some of you folks are head and shoulders above me on issues like this.
I had thought about the grendel but now I'm leaning to the .224. Bear Creek has a great deal on both the 22 and 24" barrels fluted and heavy. Please give me your experienced thoughts.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have caught the Long Range bug my friend....... Good for ya!
Good yes, but wanting to have this option is a hard nut to crack. I've got my 6.5 creedmoor (that I love) but want this option to take a single bagged AR 15 with the 556/223 setup and just change uppers to do out to a 1,000 without changing guns.
Deciding between the .224 and the grendel is hard. Don't want to to the buyers regret thing.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
some reading if you have not read it.
https://www.ammoland.com/2018/06/22...ate-battle-of-1000-yard-ar-15s/#axzz5SVTIRZ6N

I like less recoil and less drift.
I have found that less barrel whip results in greater accuracy.
I have decided in my mind a smaller diameter bullet exerts less twisting forces on a barrel and results in a smaller harmonic or whip.
With that in my mind I can go a bit longer with my barrel with small diameter bullet and still retain really good accuracy.

Yes you can find a node and make the longer barrel work very well and you can add diameter to the barrel or play with groove type when you have a custom barrel made.

But for me shooting in temps from 5 degrees to 100+ I find the shorter barrels or smaller diameter bullets keep my group sizes much smaller without needing to tweak the load.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not say it will but the only thing that concerns me with this round is it's availability years from now. This comes from someone who shoots a 7wsm and a 38 super. Its always the brass that you can't find. Hopefully with it being used on an AR platform it will remain hip because it is a good round.

Sounds to me you're going to be scope poor before too long.:cry11:

This is a good read. Lots of knowledgeable people on AccurateShooter.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/224-valkyrie.3947176/

Last edited:

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several months back the 224 Valkyrie caught my eye too. I done quite a bit of research on them and wound up going with the Grendel. Both can easily be 1k yard + calibers with the right barrel, but the 224 round seems to be eating up a lot of those barrels. Grendel has been around a lot longer and seems to be more stable. My conclusions were basically this; if you want a small round that is awesome at punching holes in paper at very long distances, then go Valkyrie. If you want a bit more thump or something that you may want to hunt with as well, go Grendel.

BCA barrels seem to be hit or miss, with a lot of misses. Be sure to also check out ARP, and Faxon barrels.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not say it will but the only thing that concerns me with this round is it's availability years from now. This comes from someone who shoots a 7wsm and a 38 super. Its always the brass that you can't find. Hopefully with it being used on an AR platform it will remain hip because it is a good round.

Sounds to me you're going to be scope poor before too long.:cry11:

This is a good read. Lots of knowledgeable people on AccurateShooter.
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/224-valkyrie.3947176/
Yep. Regardless if I go with the grendel or the .224 val, I plan on putting a nice scope on it that will reach out. I have one that's not bad I'm not using that can get me long and decent glass.
I worry about the ammo as well. Fed is making a lot of it but it the cal don't catch on (like the creedmoor) it will stay hard to get.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Regardless if I go with the grendel or the .224 val, I plan on putting a nice scope on it that will reach out. I have one that's not bad I'm not using that can get me long and decent glass.
I worry about the ammo as well. Fed is making a lot of it but it the cal don't catch on (like the creedmoor) it will stay hard to get.
Just buy what you want and stock up on the brass. My .243WSSM brass became almost impossible to find with the gougers on gunbroker charging a buck or more per round of brass, but I had foresight when I saw it was falling from popularity and got several hundred rounds of brass stocked up at factory pricing.
I'll never run out of good brass with my stash. I've reloaded some cases three times now and they still have life left in them.

docohm

Maximus Shooterist
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you do, how is it a distance? I mean over 800 yds. Looking at the Bear Creek AR upper in either 22 or 24" barrel. Going to use just for distance accuracy.
Going to have good glass and carried with 6920 Colt. Want the regular AR 556/223 in the same carry bag with a complete upper so I can shoot both close and out to 1,000 yards with one gun.
Help. I've looked at all the utube reviews and that's of no use as they all are equal hate and love. Plus the difference for 22" to 24" pros and cons are not existent.
Again, help. Some of you folks are head and shoulders above me on issues like this.
I had thought about the grendel but now I'm leaning to the .224. Bear Creek has a great deal on both the 22 and 24" barrels fluted and heavy. Please give me your experienced thoughts.
This is exactly what I've been considering also. I hope you'll share your experiences with us.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is exactly what I've been considering also. I hope you'll share your experiences with us.
I'll be ordering in the next week. Spending all my time researching right now. The Val has my spidey senses tingling. just don't want to end up with a gun I can't find ammo for or it's so overpriced

Latest posts

Top Bottom