Anyone shoot .224 Valkyrie?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be ordering in the next week. Spending all my time researching right now. The Val has my spidey senses tingling. just don't want to end up with a gun I can't find ammo for or it's so overpriced
Is brass available yet? I was going to build one, but couldn't find ammo or brass and at the time it was going to be months before it would be out there. I blew it off.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Cal is made to function at its maximum with 90 grain 1:6.5 twist but the manufacturers are having problems with that. The 1:7 will do and that's what I'm looking at with the Bear Creek. Affordable and I think I'm going that way

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Cal is made to function at its maximum with 90 grain 1:6.5 twist but the manufacturers are having problems with that. The 1:7 will do and that's what I'm looking at with the Bear Creek. Affordable and I think I'm going that way
Man, 1:6.5 twist is incredibly fast. Probably because of the length of the bullet at that weight I'd suspect. What problems are the manufacturers seeing?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, 1:6.5 twist is incredibly fast. Probably because of the length of the bullet at that weight I'd suspect. What problems are the manufacturers seeing?
Can't get the 1:6.5 twist rate to produce consistent results. Some have pulled out of trying to produce it because they can't make a barrel to their standards (whatever the hell that means). The 1:7 is no problem and an 85 grain (or so)

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been interested in the .224 Valkyrie since I first heard of it and I have been tempted to get one of the PSA uppers for a complete lower I have.

I would only be using factory ammo and from the little research I've done they haven't quite gotten the right combination of ammo and barrel to be consistently accurate. It has something to do with the free bore and jump to the lands and other things that I don't know much about.

I really think the round has great potential but I'm waiting until I hear that they have the kinks worked out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't get the 1:6.5 twist rate to produce consistent results. Some have pulled out of trying to produce it because they can't make a barrel to their standards (whatever the hell that means). The 1:7 is no problem and an 85 grain (or so)
the 1:8 is incredibly accurate in the .243 using 88 to 105 grain bullets which is why I was questioning the 1:6.5.
The .243 being only slightly bigger in diameter by a few thousands of an inch.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been interested in the .224 Valkyrie since I first heard of it and I have been tempted to get one of the PSA uppers for a complete lower I have.

I would only be using factory ammo and from the little research I've done they haven't quite gotten the right combination of ammo and barrel to be consistently accurate. It has something to do with the free bore and jump to the lands and other things that I don't know much about.

I really think the round has great potential but I'm waiting until I hear that they have the kinks worked out.
Reloading the round would solve the issues. The bullet is really long, so getting it closer to the lands shouldn't be an issue if the chamber is correct. Bench rest shooters put the bullet into the lands or a few thousands away. Pressure problems can ensue if the bullet does touch the lands so one has to take the powder load into consideration if you want to go that direction.
I do engage the lands with my Browning Stainless Stalker in 30-06. Closing the bolt is stiff, but the powder charge reflects that issue. It's incredibly accurate, taking many deer and 8 elk so far at long ranges with that rifle.

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you all tried the 223 Ackley Improved? I have Kimber Montana and an AR in 223AI. I am seeing nearly 3600 fps with a 55 gr bullet and 22" barrel without signs of over pressure. I have only shot to 600 yards, but handles that easily.

I is much easier to find brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom