Anyone Wildcat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious to see if anyone here loads some odd wildcats. If so, how did you get into it? do you form your own brass?

I saw where someone on another forum was wildcatting a 17/357 of some sort and I though that would be kinda neat in a little rifle of some sort.

eaglerjs

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some wildcats are worth the effort. like 7mm TCU and others. I don't have any use for 17s but if I was going to 17/357 I would start with a 22 jet (a 357 necked down to a 22). good luck.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.orchardphoto.com_j6zci8.jpg

I used my 357 Herrett loaded with Hornady 158 gr. XTP HP bullets on this Black Wildebeest.

I bought the barrel on eBay years ago for my T/C Contender because it was cheap and I was curious as to how well it would perform. The 10 inch length turned out to be handy and it performed well. I also have a 375 JDJ but, since it was loaded commercially for a time, I guess it can't really be considered a wildcat any longer.

Really though, with so many different commercial cartridges available, unless you're a masochist or really into reloading, a wildcat isn't worth the bother.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.orchardphoto.com_j6zci8.jpg

I used my 357 Herrett loaded with Hornady 158 gr. XTP HP bullets on this Black Wildebeest.

I bought the barrel on eBay years ago for my T/C Contender because it was cheap and I was curious as to how well it would perform. The 10 inch length turned out to be handy and it performed well. I also have a 375 JDJ but, since it was loaded commercially for a time, I guess it can't really be considered a wildcat any longer.

Really though, with so many different commercial cartridges available, unless you're a masochist or really into reloading, a wildcat isn't worth the bother.

I have a .357 Herrett too and I agree with this post. Get the commercial load that is the closest to the performance you want and save some work. I am getting ready to start using the Herrett again. I just bought a batch of bullets for it and some new .375 Win brass. I am wanting to see if the .375 brass really is any better for it than .30-30 brass. Wildcatting can be fun but it is extra work.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish hornady still made that .35 single shot pistol bullet. It is very accurate in my .357 Herrett but I am running low. I concur that with all the available factory loading out there, the real reason to wildcat is purely for the enjoyment and no longer needed to get the performance you want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom