Anyone Wildcat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Closest thing to a wildcat I have is a .338-06. It can be ackleyized into a true wildcat, and I am considering doing that, but the cloverleaf groups at 100 yards it now produces have kept me with the original chambering. It is an old Savage 110 that I bought at a real bargain, and rebarreled it. Still has the cheap fiberglass stock in spray can camo, and every time I think to upgrade the stock, I look at the performance, and leave it alone.

This is a very unappreciated caliber which with lighter .338 bullets approaches .338 winmag performance pretty closely with a lot less recoil. It used to be pretty popular in the Alaska panhandle where, when hunting small game, it may be necesary to defend against big bears. Loaded with solids, it'll get the job done, and loaded with lighter bullets it's surprisingly friendly in terms of damage to meat.

I am in awe seeing the above lists of wildcat cartridges some of you are/have been into. The little .14 rounds are calling to me, but I am turning down my hearing aids . . .

Latest posts

Top Bottom