Apartment Fires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just saw a notice about another apartment fire, this one with two fatalities I think. There have been many recently. Any intelligent thoughts about why so many ?
Apartments always have a higher risk of fire due to people being crammed together. Throw section 8 clients and drug smoking into the mix and you get a recipie for an inferno.

I always hated living in apartments, one reason being my house could be burned down by someone who wasn't me. Also having an apartment with sprinklers makes your renters insurance go way up.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Most apartment fires are started by lit candles, smoking, unattended food on a stove, or fireplaces. Some geniuses even bbq on their wooden balconies. I used to volunteer for the Red Cross disaster action team. We responded to help people after a Fire. It always spikes in the fall and early winter. 16 people were misplaced in this latest one. Sometimes the apartments have vacant places they can move to and if they don't have somewhere to go Red Cross helps with their immediate disaster needs. Gratifying work helping those who need it. Frustrating work dealing with those who try to milk the system. I'd advise anyone to get renter's insurance. It's very cheap and can help a lot after a fire.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most apartment fires are started by lit candles, smoking, unattended food on a stove, or fireplaces. Some geniuses even bbq on their wooden balconies. I used to volunteer for the Red Cross disaster action team. We responded to help people after a Fire. It always spikes in the fall and early winter. 16 people were misplaced in this latest one. Sometimes the apartments have vacant places they can move to and if they don't have somewhere to go Red Cross helps with their immediate disaster needs. Gratifying work helping those who need it. Frustrating work dealing with those who try to milk the system. I'd advise anyone to get renter's insurance. It's very cheap and can help a lot after a fire.
Space heaters are another common source. Before going into business for myself, I did commercial building inspections primarily for insurance underwriting companies. I inspected numerous apartment complex fires, and the majority of the fires were caused by the reasons that you mentioned. Poor and/or inadequate electrical systems were another fairly common cause. All units are supposed to have at least one functioning smoke detector.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Space heaters are another common source. Before going into business for myself, I did commercial building inspections primarily for insurance underwriting companies. I inspected numerous apartment complex fires, and the majority of the fires were caused by the reasons that you mentioned. Poor and/or inadequate electrical systems were another fairly common cause. All units are supposed to have at least one functioning smoke detector.
"Appliance plugged into overloaded relocatable power tab"

Latest posts

Top Bottom