Appliance repair costs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The washing machine is acting up. You know, one of those fancy push button electronic board ones. Tech is here now and I'm trying to figure out what the top dollar amount will be for fixing, before I say nope, and buy another one washing machine. It's 7 years old.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but I’ve heard that newer washers only have 8-10 years of life expectancy. If it’s a control board, good luck if they still make the part.
I wish. I know it is not a washer but we bought a new stove four years ago and it crapped out on Thanksgiving morning (of all days). They are pretty much disposable products now a days. I remember my mom and dad had a freezer that was over 30 years old before they gave it away. I think those days are gone forever.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
... I remember my mom and dad had a freezer that was over 30 years old before they gave it away. I think those days are gone forever.

I've got an upright freezer in my garage (with a receipt) that my parents bought in 1980. Still works.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
used to be a thread on here about how good speed Queens were. if your going to replace it, might go that direction.
Yep Speed Queen (old style) or Maytag/Whirlpool Commercial series are equivalent to the long life units of the old days.

Also, always go with top loading washer with a real agitator if you can. Side units may use less water, but water is what actually cleans clothes.

I can always smell it when someone uses a side loading washer that they let get mildewy by closing the door between uses.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 2 year old dryer stopped heating. I had my amazon princess order a heating element rebuild kit @ 48ish bucks. And youtube has step by steps on everything. It did take me a good 2 hours and the bastages put the heating element the deepest into the unit, But it now is fine. With everything I had to remove just to get to that element. I can see why they charge a lot. It looks like a bigger job than it really is,

Latest posts

Top Bottom