Ar 15 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again per the interwebz thelonger barrels give better twist rates,harmonics and overall improved accuracy?

There have actually been a couple of tests now with identical barrels (except for length) and shorter barrels (18" and 20") achieved more consistent groups than 24" and 26" (with respect to .308)

I've seen one for .223 somewhere, but I can't find it right now - if you really want to see a testament to shorter .223 barrels that are made well enough to have super-accuracy (based on nothing but quality stuff) check out Josh's 400 yard steel plate plinking video out of (I think it was a Sabre Defense 11.5" maybe?).

I'd say that's more than accurate enough for like 99% of the folks on this board.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I moved the vid to another folder in photobucket so it messed up any old links. What ez is talking about though was a 400 yard range trip with a 10.5 inch Noveske barrel that was shooting sub moa groups.

.45Fats

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I moved the vid to another folder in photobucket so it messed up any old links. What ez is talking about though was a 400 yard range trip with a 10.5 inch Noveske barrel that was shooting sub moa groups.

can you post a link? always interested in seeing stuff like this.

so if the 24 inch is overkill, what do I need to be looking at? what's an optimal length?

since it's going to be 90% range portability isn't really an issue for me. basically accuracy is my only real concern with what I want to put together, well I want reliability too obviously.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
can you post a link? always interested in seeing stuff like this.

so if the 24 inch is overkill, what do I need to be looking at? what's an optimal length?

since it's going to be 90% range portability isn't really an issue for me. basically accuracy is my only real concern with what I want to put together, well I want reliability too obviously.

Unless you're a better shot than Josh, 10.5" sounds about optimal :D

I'd spend your money on quality and look into manufacturers that are known for making super-accurate barrels. Noveske or Sabre Defense would be my first choices.

.45Fats

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you're a better shot than Josh, 10.5" sounds about optimal :D

I'd spend your money on quality and look into manufacturers that are known for making super-accurate barrels. Noveske or Sabre Defense would be my first choices.

fair enough...don't think I can do a 10.5 without extra red tape but basically if I look at the standard 16 or 18 inch barrels and just go with something quality I should be fine is what is sounds like.

things like this is why I posted my questions...and will probably keep doing so for a long long long time...I'm an ignorant newb :D

now to steal a little time from the nice people who offered to help me and pester everyone about lower selections, materials, parts kits, etc etc etc ....

heh so far this has done wha tI wanted and eaten quite a bit of time...and I haven't even bought the first part yet LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom