AR open carry at Hafer park in Edmond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Well, other agencies in Oklahoma seem to have a more restrained approach to handling “man with a gun” calls (i.e. without running hot with weapons drawn). And it doesn’t seem to cause any problems for them, so I’m skeptical of the need or benefit of police reacting so…proactively. :rolleyes2 Since I used to almost always OC, I’ve been the subject of multiple “man with a gun” calls in Norman and officers have only responded once, a couple weeks ago. How did they respond? Code 1, approached me completely relaxed, asked for ID, thanked me for carrying, and left. This is Norman I’m talking about. It’s not exactly a haven for conservative values, but even they don’t freak out about people carrying guns.

Just curious why do you choose to almost always open carry? Do you feel it offers anything that concealed carry doesn’t? Pro’s or con’s? Have you been trained in weapon retention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, other agencies in Oklahoma seem to have a more restrained approach to handling “man with a gun” calls (i.e. without running hot with weapons drawn). And it doesn’t seem to cause any problems for them, so I’m skeptical of the need or benefit of police reacting so…proactively. :rolleyes2 Since I used to almost always OC, I’ve been the subject of multiple “man with a gun” calls in Norman and officers have only responded once, a couple weeks ago. How did they respond? Code 1, approached me completely relaxed, asked for ID, thanked me for carrying, and left. This is Norman I’m talking about. It’s not exactly a haven for conservative values, but even they don’t freak out about people carrying guns.

I’d also ask if these “auditors” have ever been officers? Have they ever responded to incidents where there is a strong chance of violence with weapons involved? Have they ever been attacked? Have they ever been shot at. Have they ever shot anyone?

CLEET teaches officers to always have the advantage in any situation. Sean Connery summed it up in the movie The Untouchables. In one scene he told Costner that the first rule of law enforcement was to go home at the end of your shift. And again in the church when he asked him what he was willing to do to put Capone in prison. A basic rule in LE is escalation of force. If they use their fists, you use spray or a taser. If they use a knife, you use a gun.

As the saying goes, walk a mile in my shoes.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Devil's advocate warning. I've got my fire extinguisher sitting next to me so go ahead.

What if there was a national open carry identification "badge" or identification?
2c5c9144c26f459f36dcbe7fc855dc9b.jpg

OK, let er rip! I'm ducking!
tenor.gif

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I swore you were going to quote this. About provocative situations.

That the first time I’ve ever seen that. I have an ex-wife who was a master at pushing my buttons. It always made her twice as mad when I turned and walked away or went to another room and locked the door. A few years after I filed for divorce, she told me that she was doing it on purpose just to see if I would hit her. I never did, but her button pushing was one of the reasons I filed for divorce.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Devil's advocate warning. I've got my fire extinguisher sitting next to me so go ahead.

What if there was a national open carry identification "badge" or identification?
2c5c9144c26f459f36dcbe7fc855dc9b.jpg

OK, let er rip! I'm ducking!

An I.D. card for national carry that could be confirmed in a national database like your driver license would be nice. The badge.....No. I can see someone trying to act as LE and getting arrested for impersonation, or worse getting shot because they are mistaken for LE.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom