AR Styles/Calibers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
100gr bullets you'll have to get into a different caliber. 7.62x39 is least expensive, with new CPD magazines it is also reliable. my favorite caliber is 6.8SPCII, i call it a 270 short, bullet weights from 90-130 gr. the round is designed around a 16" barrel, i hit 2700fps with 110gr bullets with that combo

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is some excellent information in this thread! Exactly what OSA is known for!
Yes, I'm enjoying this thread because I'm a novice too. Picked up my first one not too long ago. Posted a picture of it in rifles category. Enjoying mine but don't get to shoot it as much as I'd like to. My friends that have land to shoot on have to work and have other obligations too so their time is limited. I'm reading this thread with a lot of interest so I appreciate you people sharing your knowledge.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as not liking those guns.
I have one now that I built with PSA freedom kit 1:7 stainless mid length in 5.56 16" barrel.
I really like it.. the part I do not like is the scope sits low.. or actually the stock where it sits against your shoulder is level with the barrel. Long neck girls have problems getting comfortable eye position.

The hand guards are round.. hard to make steady when shooting for groups off of a bag.
Bipod helps or bag made for narrow handguard.

I shoot 55 v max and have killed many deer and hogs all 1 shot kills. One ran 15 yards in a circle. broke his shoulder and destroyed the pigs heart, he ran in a circle for 15 feet and then expired.
55 gr is the smallest legal size for deer here in Oklahoma.
I use a small magazine in mine 10 count and you are only allowed 7.
I use a P mag which is plastic and fits well and I remove the bottom plate and insert 3-4 shot rounds under the spring and put it back together .. this makes a quick easy legal magazine for hunting. I think mine holds 5 rounds now.

If you plan on hunting.
Now I have shot a few factory rounds and each gun will like a certain one.. I am sure the 30-06 is the same way.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as not liking those guns.
I have one now that I built with PSA freedom kit 1:7 stainless mid length in 5.56 16" barrel.
I really like it.. the part I do not like is the scope sits low.. or actually the stock where it sits against your shoulder is level with the barrel. Long neck girls have problems getting comfortable eye position.

The hand guards are round.. hard to make steady when shooting for groups off of a bag.
Bipod helps or bag made for narrow handguard.

I shoot 55 v max and have killed many deer and hogs all 1 shot kills. One ran 15 yards in a circle. broke his shoulder and destroyed the pigs heart, he ran in a circle for 15 feet and then expired.
55 gr is the smallest legal size for deer here in Oklahoma.
I use a small magazine in mine 10 count and you are only allowed 7.
I use a P mag which is plastic and fits well and I remove the bottom plate and insert 3-4 shot rounds under the spring and put it back together .. this makes a quick easy legal magazine for hunting. I think mine holds 5 rounds now.

If you plan on hunting.
Now I have shot a few factory rounds and each gun will like a certain one.. I am sure the 30-06 is the same way.
the old school triangle handguards could solve one of your problems, I agree with you on the other issue. extra high rings might help as the stock being inline with the barrel you are sort of stuck with due to the buffer/recoil system on these guns. I bought an adjustable Luth-ar stock for my long range AR and the cheek riser is completely worthless as you have a hard time getting low enough with it bottomed out.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, I'm enjoying this thread because I'm a novice too. Picked up my first one not too long ago. Posted a picture of it in rifles category. Enjoying mine but don't get to shoot it as much as I'd like to. My friends that have land to shoot on have to work and have other obligations too so their time is limited. I reading this thread with a lot of interest so I appreciate you people sharing your knowledge.
One of the reasons I don't have more ARs, or guns in general, is that it's just not much fun shooting them indoors and I no longer have access to an outdoor area to shoot at.

I sure do miss the Thunderbird range.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What everybody else said! Only thing I would suggest is buy a brand new one from a dealer- not from somebody on armslist etc. Every Tom, Dick, and Mary has "assembled" an AR and you will not have any idea what you are getting. You can get a S&W AR15 for less than $600 on the web if you watch the sales

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
OK guys... so what's the best "off the shelf" brand(s) of 5.56/.223 brass-cased ammo for accuracy? Not interested in aluminum or steel, but I am interested in heavier bullets (100gr+ soft-nosed if available).

Federal? Winchester? Fiocchi? Something else?

Thanks. :)

What is the purpose of the heavy soft nose bullets?

Common .223/5.56 bullet weights are 55gr +/-, then 62, 69, 75-77.

If you have basic handy skill, you can assemble your own lower. The upper requires some special tools - not super expensive. But most likely there is someone around OKC that is able and willing to help if you want to try it. I highly recommend building an AR. It's usually less expensive for similar features, plus you get the experience of putting it together. It also familiarizes you with the basic function of the gun.

$79.99 Bear Creek Arsenal 16" .223 Wylde Lightweight Contour 1:8 Mid-Length 41V50 Barrel - Parkerized
$8.99 Radical Firearms Stainless Steel Gas Tube - Mid-Length
$13.95 DS Arms AR15/ZM4 Alloy Charging Handle Assembly Complete with Standard Latch
$64.99 Anderson Manufacturing AR-15 Upper Receiver Assembly
$46.99 AimSports - AR-15 13.5" M-LOK Handguard
$79.99 Anderson Manufacturing Complete M16 Cut AR-15 Bolt Carrier Group - Parkerized
$17.81 Luth-AR Lo-Profile Gas Block - .750"
$39.95 Anderson Manufacturing AR-15 Stripped Lower Receiver

$11.37 Shipping
$20.00 FFL Transfer Fee

$109.99 PSA EPT MOE Lower Build Kit - 778099

$494.02 Total Cost

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the reasons I don't have more ARs, or guns in general, is that it's just not much fun shooting them indoors and I no longer have access to an outdoor area to shoot at.

I sure do miss the Thunderbird range.
Indoor ranges make me nervous. I've been talking seriously to the wife about buying a few acres where I could pull a small RV to it and stay the week/weekend where I can shoot my guns and sit around the campfire waiting on a pot of beans to cook. That would suit me just fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom