Are rifles redundant/Pointless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't buy into the whole "you'll forget how to draw and pull the trigger!" spiel. Don't carry your 1911 with its bells, whistles and fancy holster complete with retention locks and straps.

Didn't I create this thread like a year ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once the bullets start flying your way it is not surprising if one would tend to forget all that nice range inspired muscle control. First order of business [for most] is simply to run away or find concealment. So yes, forgetting to draw and return fire would be quite possible and actually hitting your intended target, quite probable.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once the bullets start flying your way it is not surprising if one would tend to forget all that nice range inspired muscle control. First order of business [for most] is simply to run away or find concealment. So yes, forgetting to draw and return fire would be quite possible and actually hitting your intended target, quite probable.

I'll agree with your comment that if somebody has a gun on me at distance, I'm running, it's doubtful you will be hit.
Spent a lifetime shooting at running and flying game with pistols, rifles and shotguns.Hunting is my game.
It's not something that comes naturally for 99,999% of humans. It's all practice and repetition using the firearm of choice to drill that memory into the brain.
I've always had a challenge to some that I'd take my shot timer to the range, and have them draw and fire two rounds accurately at 10 yards. Measure the group, and after an hour of the same drill, see what your time is. Vastly improved is my bet.

You might have shot 100,000 rounds of M-16 or AR twenty years ago, but unless you have recent practice under your belt, especially moving and shooting, your accuracy and follow up shots are going to suffer tremendously. (why I don't like indoor ranges, you can't move and shoot)
You have to stay in the game to keep up with and improve your skills on a regular basis to be able to respond to any scenario presented to you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom