Are there any homebrewers here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of fun, I wouldn't personally invest a lot of money in equipment and supplies until you realize this is something you really enjoy. Here in Tulsa the guys over at High Gravity can be of immense help!

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can recommend the High Gravity store as well. They are friendly and helpful and they stock just about everything you will need. Once you have been doing it for a while and know exactly what you need/want, you may end up ordering some stuff online just because it is cheaper. But I still go in there and buy things on occasion. Sometimes you need something right now, not in a week!

Gregg

TulsaBandit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got all my equipment from high gravity as well. VERY nice people and they'll steer you in the right direction.

I'm nervous about my first brew - hoping everything is going well in that bucket o' mine and it won't make me sick LOL

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read somewhere that no "germs" that are dangerous to people will grow in wort. Plenty of germs that will make it taste funny (or even awful) but it won't kill you! When you come down to it, that is an alcohol solution and most things don't like that.

Gregg

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of fun, I wouldn't personally invest a lot of money in equipment and supplies until you realize this is something you really enjoy. Here in Tulsa the guys over at High Gravity can be of immense help!

That's why I decided to start with mead. All total I think I'm in for about $60. That includes 4 carboys (2 to start and 2 to rack to), some vinyl tubing, bleach and vinegar for my sanitizing solution, and ingredients for the first two gallons. I'm liking it so far so I do believe this was money well spent.

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read somewhere that no "germs" that are dangerous to people will grow in wort. Plenty of germs that will make it taste funny (or even awful) but it won't kill you! When you come down to it, that is an alcohol solution and most things don't like that.

Gregg

I remember being told in some history course that the reason for alcoholic beverages being popular way-back-when was because it was the safer to drink than most water sources.

Beerzerker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I brew my own beer.

Its fun, and if you get the right recipe and the right ingredients, you can make some VERY good beer. I do 5 gallon batches, about once every month or two.

This one is crazy good if you don't mind a rich wheat beer
http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=223

Also did a couple of batches of india pale ales recently, and one stands out as being exceptional. Definitely easy enough to do home brewed beer, and if you want REALLY good beer, then brewing your own is the way to go. Its hard to explain, but store beer is not even close.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I decided to start with mead.

Wow. I'm glad it worked out for you. But if I had started with mead, I probably would have stopped right there. I've tried quite a few different ones over the years and a few sips is always enough for me. Some people seem to like it but.... a lot of people don't!

Gregg

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. I'm glad it worked out for you. But if I had started with mead, I probably would have stopped right there. I've tried quite a few different ones over the years and a few sips is always enough for me. Some people seem to like it but.... a lot of people don't!

Gregg

I figured mead was a safe bet for me. I've tried a lot of fruit wines recently and liked most of them. The orange in this recipe stood out nicely when I tested it. The real test is going to be if I still like the flavors after they mellow out for a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom