Armadillo meets my other Ruger...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now,..they have SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME a few times while heading into the woods in the dark.!

I think we have all been victims of armadillo terror. Many slight spooks while walking in/out of the deer woods in the dark, happens every year.

When he was younger my hunting buddy set out on a piece of public land during muzzleoader season. He was walking through an area that had been clear cut, and there were gray rocks covering this sloping hillside. He could see them in the moonlight. He went to step over one of the gray rocks and it levitated off the ground and made that weird screeching noise a dillo will make when scared. I wish I could have seen his reaction, he said he flat freaked out. I bet he won the screeching contest.

Once I went to get something out of the trunk of somebodies car while we were camped in a state park, 2 dillos came running out in fear from under the car when I slammed the trunk lid. One went right between my legs, bumping my ankle as it passed. I nearly pooed.

Last but not least, in high school the dog started barking. Dad went to investigate and found an armadillo digging under the chicken coop fence. This had been a problem, then the chickens would get out or predators would get in during the night. He yelled for me, and I came wielding a spot light and a .22 magnum lever gun. Dad held the spotlight, the dillo ran. We followed it into the woods and being stupid it stopped NEXT to a hole rather than going in. I shot it and it charged me (it seemed that way anyways), screeching the whole way. I ran backwards, tripping over brush and shuckin' shells from that .22 mag until the 5th or 6th shot stopped it, I think I hit it 3 times, so 2 while I was running backwards. Dad thought it was hilarious. "That was like a scale model grizzly charge!" :spitlaugh

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one come through the high weeds toward me in the dark one night this fall and I would have sworn it was wild hogs by the noise. I was bowhunting but got my carry pistol out and was ready for some pork but alas..only a diller.

Mark Munkres

Marksman
Reaction score
Not much good I can say about an armadillo. I see them all the time when I am deer hunting, but they get a pass because I'm trying to not cause a commotion. They play hell with the yard. If you get one in the yard, about the only way to get him is to get up at night every 30 minutes or so and shine around the yard to spot 'em and get them with the 22.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not much good I can say about an armadillo. I see them all the time when I am deer hunting, but they get a pass because I'm trying to not cause a commotion. They play hell with the yard. If you get one in the yard, about the only way to get him is to get up at night every 30 minutes or so and shine around the yard to spot 'em and get them with the 22.

Thats the way we get them at our house.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pop'em with a .22 or .22mag and they start to leak and run off. That solves the disposal problem too. Works for me. Using a .308 solves the disposal problem also, just a wee bit more dramatic of an exit.:yelclap:

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pop'em with a .22 or .22mag and they start to leak and run off. That solves the disposal problem too. Works for me. Using a .308 solves the disposal problem also, just a wee bit more dramatic of an exit.:yelclap:

Yea, I love it when they run back in their hole after a 22 or 17 cal. The job is complete.

Latest posts

Top Bottom