Armadillo meets my other Ruger...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in High School, me and a buddy found one one time that I think a coyote had just quit messing with. He was half buried in the middle of a hay meadow. He was buried enough that only his tail was sticking out. We grabbed him by the tail and tried to pull him out so we could mess with him. NO DICE...! That little critter hooked them claws into the side of his burrow and set up camp. We were pulling so hard we could hear thing popping, like at the chiropractor, but that little dude stayed put. We couldn't get him out. ...

We were quail hunting in the Beeville Tx area several years ago. The dillers were running through the misquite bushes everywhere. The Mexican we had for a guide, wanted a couple of them to eat, so he chased one down that had partially burrowed into the ground. He let me tug on it for awhile while he was getting a good laugh at my inability to get it out.
He finally grabbed the tail, pulled on it for a second, then reversed directions, pushing it down the hole. The diller reversed his claws in a natural reaction, and the guy popped him out of the hole easily.:D

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He finally grabbed the tail, pulled on it for a second, then reversed directions, pushing it down the hole. The diller reversed his claws in a natural reaction, and the guy popped him out of the hole easily.:D

Ashamed to admit, I never would have thought of that....

Here's some smoke armadillo....!

I wouldn't mind trying it, but I'd sure hate to clean it....!

Smoked Armadillo in Columbia...

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to fish Tom Steed a lot, and often was the first boat to launch, well before daylight. This was by design because the lake is real rocky, and eats cast nets with regularity. Since there is a light over the ramp, it's often a great place to net shad before anyone launches.

I have caught lots of other stuff there including transom savers, one huge walleye (which I released--not legal), lots of rocks folks have used to scotch wheels, a rod and reel, and--here it comes--one freshly dead armadillo. The ramp was very slick with moss and best guess is that it was catching bugs in the edge of the water, slipped off into the water, and was unable to get enough traction to walk up the ramp.

Best thing I ever saw on that ramp was a blonde in a bikini who managed to keep her footing while she slid down the ramp, arms extended, until her natural flotation, and there was plenty, took over and she stabilized. We all gave her a standing ovation.

Soooo, what could I do with the dillo? I tied a short piece of line to my crappiest crankbait, hooked the lure into the dillo's mouth, and left it on the edge of the ramp. Word got around, but I never admitted what I had done. A biologist friend told me they can cross creeks by walking on the bottom, but the ramp was about as slick as greasy glass. Poor thing never had a chance.

When I was a kid, there were none of them, even in south central OK. I think I began to see them sometime in the '60s. No deer either. Last time I went by the old home place, I saw three dead deer by the road in a 7 mile stretch. CB

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to do that when I was younger. I got tired of killing things for the hell of it. Never seen an Amadillo do anything to anyone.

That's why I kill armadillos.. They do damage to my garden beds and watered grass in the front yard..also this is why I DON'T kill bob cats..Really nice animal and never had one to do anything to me..I guess I just like seeing them. But if someone else wants to legally take one then I figure it's none of my ole 60 year old business..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to have seen the the blond. I'll bet that was totally funny:D:D

For the story, about the diller with the crankbait, that was awesome!
Did something similar a few years ago. We used to have two man boat bass tournaments at a company I worked for.
We fished a public lake in osage county, and we had the biggest string of fish. Everybody was asking what we caught them on.
My dad had a lure (gag thing) that looked like a double sink with trebble hooks. We had that hanging over the bow of the boat when we came in.:D:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom