Army plans to ditch the M4/5.56 for new rifle and larger rounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.armytimes.com/articles/...inside-the-armys-plan-to-ditch-the-m4-and-556

"After carrying the M16 or one of its cousins across the globe for more than half a century, soldiers could get a peek at a new prototype assault rifle that fires a larger round by 2020.

Army researchers are testing half a dozen ammunition variants in “intermediate calibers,” which falls between the current 7.62 mm and 5.56 mm rounds, to create a new light machine gun and inform the next-generation individual assault rifle/round combo.

The weapon designs being tested will be “unconventional,” officials said, and likely not one that is currently commercially available."

I've been reading over the last few years about a army research into several new weapons. The XM8 debacle comes to mind.

Of course, the U.S. Army recently replaced it's Beretta contracts with a Sig Sauer P320. It's just unfortunate that they're sticking with 9mm instead of switching to a larger round such as 40 SW or .45 ACP in my view.

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/glock-protests-armys-choice-of-sig-sauer-for-new-handgun

I have mixed feelings about this new search for a new standard issue rifle, but as long as it is better for the troops and is reasonably priced i don't see why not.

I just hope whatever it is, it's available to the public. Maybe they'll sell off their old stocks of 5.56/7.62 to the public. I doubt it given the liberal scum we have in Congress, but it would be nice to see ammo prices plummet.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I can tell about half of the BS is that they want to blow a ton of money on something new and unproven rather than converting a proven platform to a larger caliber.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I can tell about half of the BS is that they want to blow a ton of money on something new and unproven rather than converting a proven platform to a larger caliber.

No doubt an attempt to line pockets. That's why they ditched the M1911.

Honestly, i don't think it would be so bad to adopt a new weapon if it is proven more reliable and effective.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meh, might as well go with AK-47s. From what I've read, they're already familiar with those... :D

I don't think an AK variant would be too bad. A modified, modernized version in 5.56 would probably be pretty effective. though you'd be making tradeoffs, it would be cheaper in the long run.

Latest posts

Top Bottom