assisted suicide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my mom's final days of lung cancer, she was in such pain that even large doses of Morphine didn't help much. More than once she asked me to help her leave this life and move on to the next, but that wasn't an option for me to do.
Medically assisted? Yes. We put our dogs to sleep when they are suffering and have no hope of a dignified death. We should allow someone in their right mind to make that decision for themselves.
Edit: Wife and I have a DNR spelling out our wishes for the plug to be pulled if needed.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m ALL for it. We put dogs down because we love them and we are humane. Humans shouldn’t be treated as well as dogs? We put murderers down in the most humane ways we can. Your loved ones shouldn’t be treated as well as murderers? Most of people’s concerns in this area are religious. So I ask you, did God not give you a brain? Do you believe God expects you to force people to suffer? Gods all loving. I think people don’t give God enough credit. I definitely don’t believe in making people suffer, and if I love people that much, does that mean I love people more than God does? That can’t be, because God is all loving.
I lived in Oregon until I was 18. My Mom died of stomach cancer 14 November 2023. Oregon is a death with dignity state. My Mom was a very devote Christian. I knew this, but months before she died I asked her if she wanted pills to assist with her death. She said no (no surprise to me). I let her know that she didn’t have to take them, but if she later changed her mind, she could use them. She still said no. As time went by my Mom got to the point where she was begging to die. She asked for the “death pills”. Her request was given to hospice and declined. Hospice felt that it would take too long to get two doctors to sign off on the request, and she would be dead before they could have her request approved. Two weeks later she died. She weighed 65 pounds when she finally passed. My question to those with religious concerns. Did she suffer enough before it was acceptable for her to die? My point, people should be treated humanely and lovingly in death, or at the VERY least, better than dogs and murderers.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in favor of it. I know; the slippery slope, but I'm still in favor of it.
My previous wife died from cancer and at one point she asked me with all sincerity: would it better to shoot under the chin or thru the temple from the side, to be sure the job gets done.
Her plan was to drive into the country, walk out into a field and do the deed, to be sure she passed before being found.

She ended up in hospice, which was a godsend. Still not an easy road.
I think it was Bill Clinton that signed the bill for Hospice being covered by Medicare.
The only thing that ass hat did that was worthwhile.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Bible tells us no. We all have demons and issues to face, some through no fault of our own.

You have continued to help people here. Your informational posts are excellent reading, your knowledge and background gives you a special insight keeping people from harming themselves and others. You are a singular creation sorely needed in our society.

I have seen two suicides recently. Both were sad losses, both were suffering from internal wounds associated with battle. Both caused pain to others, I feel the first fueled the second though they were already hurting. For me it was hard to face. Both had much to give but were stuck in another place in their lives.

My FIL faces this daily as well. He has trouble breathing some days. Medically fully handicapped. Can no longer stand on his own. Down 6 inches and 150 pounds to skin and bones. Amazing he is still alive. He still has some pearls of wisdom to share and he seeks to find the joy in life. He has done it for years without pain killers. From this I draw strength. Docs keep offering me meds, I keep refusing.

My prayers for you and yours, the journey is not described to us beforehand. We all face our paths in life.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Christian way to go is that hang on until your last breath, even if it causes your family members to go through absolute hell and agony for months, years, decades. Your suffering must become their suffering and you must rack up an enormous medical bill that everyone else has to deal with once you are at the pearly gates.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im a new Christian, but I feel like God forgives all that truly accept him. Loving and merciful.

If I'm 100% terminal, vegetable, then yeah, I'm for it. I'd like to believe God doesn't expect someone to suffer until the very end, especially in our day and age of medical bills and everything else that puts a burden on the family.

As far as "Im against it, but okay with smothering me", seems like a cheap way out. You're against suicide obviously, but okay with someone damning their soul with what accounts to murder? I guess to me there's no difference really between asking someone to smother you out or a doctor giving you "death pills". I'd be praying for both their forgiveness from God as they performed their mercy on me. Just one has legal protections.

Interesting discussion though and def easy to say your against it, until it affects you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom