Oregon ban on self-service gas stations voted out, or I learned something new today Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard that on the radio yesterday.
I have been to Oregon a few times and it is odd that I was not allowed to pump my own gas.

My Dodge truck you must trickle the fuel into it as the tank is a bit up hill.

busterheiney

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're serious about it, too. I didn't realize I couldn't pump my gas when I visited Oregon a few years back. I stopped at a little station in the middle of the night and started pumping. A guy ran out and started scolding me. I got really defensive for a second before he explained it was against the law and they could get fined for it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're serious about it, too. I didn't realize I couldn't pump my gas when I visited Oregon a few years back. I stopped at a little station in the middle of the night and started pumping. A guy ran out and started scolding me. I got really defensive for a second before he explained it was against the law and they could get fined for it.
That is the same way it went down for me.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, found that out myself a few years back when we were in OR. and I got accosted by some guy for pumping my own gas. I shook my head and thought, this is the stupidest thing I've come across in awhile, then I remembered it was a blue state and a left coast blue one on top of that and it all made perfect sense.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bummer. They started allowing pumping your own gas at night a few years back. Last time I was in Oregon I pulled up to a pump and waited and no one came out...

I always enjoyed getting gas in Oregon, it was cheaper then Washington or California and someone pumped it for you. I always made.sure to refuel before crossing the border, (and get a blackberry shake at Burgerville).

The worst part about this is a bunch of people are going to lose their jobs, and if you ever got gas in Oregon, its the often kind of people that can't do much besides pump gas. But more people out of work and on guvmint support is the Democrat way.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and I lived and worked out there between April 2016 and September 2017. While one couldn't pump their own gasoline, one could pump their own diesel. And, the station where I bought 100% gas for the small engines knew that I had experience with pumping gas, so when I went in with 5-gallon cans for gas, they let me fill those myself. That way, they could still pump gas for their other customers.

About the time we left (or maybe right after), the legislature there amended their law to allow one to pump their own gas if they weren't in a city over a certain population size.

When we then moved to Utah for 9 months, I backed up to a gas pump and the owner noticed our Oregon tag. When I got out, he asked if he needed to pump my gas. When I told him that I was originally from Oklahoma, we both had a good laugh.

Latest posts

Top Bottom