Oregon ban on self-service gas stations voted out, or I learned something new today Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was on the Goldwing in Oregon not knowing about this. Pulled up to a pump and started to pull the nozzle from the pump when a young lady ran out to inform me i couldn’t do that. She then took the nozzle from the pump and handed it to me. She was not comfortable filling a motorcycle. Gezzzz

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yall don't remember when they voted on this a few years ago and the residents were FREAKING OUT at the thought of having to pump their own gas???

It was crazy, people acting like they would be mugged if they got out of the car, their kids kidnapped, doused with fuel as they fueled up, car stolen....the fear was WILD.

Or enacting CONCEALED CARRY, OPEN CARRY, CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY, ANY less restrictive gun laws. Fear is control. The Dems most used tactic. Sheeple eat it up.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're serious about it, too. I didn't realize I couldn't pump my gas when I visited Oregon a few years back. I stopped at a little station in the middle of the night and started pumping. A guy ran out and started scolding me. I got really defensive for a second before he explained it was against the law and they could get fined for it.

Same thing happened to me on more than one occasion. You’d have thought I’d have learned my lesson after the 5th or 6th time.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the old Oregon where I was born and raised, before Oregon become one of California's Northern most counties. Washington being the other. Oregon was more small town, and most Gas stations were independent dealers-some times Mom and Pop Country stores. More than often the Neighborhood mechanic was the Gas Station operator.

These independent operators and their lobby worked vigorously to stop the creation of no-service, self service big oil company owned stations. Thus the full service, no self service, you can't pump your own gas law.

If the Independents wanted a law to keep the Big Oil company's out then the State required the Gas stations to provide service. Not only were they required to pump gas, but they had to wash windshields and check oil also. You want protection, then provide a service.

Of course the Big oil controlled the supply so eventually the Independent operators were history--as predicted. It just took longer than was thought.

Over time the Willamette Valley and now the I-5 corridor control Oregon politics and the Independent Operators are a dying breed. So self service was inevitable. thus the change.

One of the many changes going on in Oregon and this country.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mom has lived in Medford for the last 15 years or so and says she loves the law since she doesn't have to pump her own fuel. I swear that place has turned her. I cannot imagine not pumping my own fuel. The two times I visited her there, I had fuel poured down the side of my truck and rental.

I never seen someone on a bike to ask how they handle it. Every one I know who rides are super protective of their bike and wouldn't let anyone fuel it around here.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and I lived and worked out there between April 2016 and September 2017. While one couldn't pump their own gasoline, one could pump their own diesel. And, the station where I bought 100% gas for the small engines knew that I had experience with pumping gas, so when I went in with 5-gallon cans for gas, they let me fill those myself. That way, they could still pump gas for their other customers.

About the time we left (or maybe right after), the legislature there amended their law to allow one to pump their own gas if they weren't in a city over a certain population size.

When we then moved to Utah for 9 months, I backed up to a gas pump and the owner noticed our Oregon tag. When I got out, he asked if he needed to pump my gas. When I told him that I was originally from Oklahoma, we both had a good laugh.
We went through Oregon on a trip years ago, and I was shocked to lesarn it i was illegal to pump your own gas. I ask a guy from Oregon that was standing near by, why they did that and his reply was, because we want to!!

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bummer. They started allowing pumping your own gas at night a few years back. Last time I was in Oregon I pulled up to a pump and waited and no one came out...

I always enjoyed getting gas in Oregon, it was cheaper then Washington or California and someone pumped it for you. I always made.sure to refuel before crossing the border, (and get a blackberry shake at Burgerville).

The worst part about this is a bunch of people are going to lose their jobs, and if you ever got gas in Oregon, its the often kind of people that can't do much besides pump gas. But more people out of work and on guvmint support is the Democrat way.
In Oregon they would just elect these out of work gas station attendants to Congress!

Latest posts

Top Bottom