ATTN: HTC Incredible 2 users

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you like your phone? Thinking of getting one for my wife. It'll be her first smartphone. She doesn't care about 4G, dual core etc. Prob a lot of email, facebook, twitter, picture taking and whatnot.

Thanks.
Bye.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that's all she cares about get her the iphone.
Oh and she kinda wants Android because that's what I have and she thinks I'll be able to teach her how to use it easier. However, I'm so freaking smart I am sure I can teach her how to use the iPhone too. But it's iPhone and I don't want to eff with iTunes bs.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have the Atrix so I can't help you. Oh wait, I can help... Your decision to not eff with iTunes is one of the best decisions you could ever make in your entire life. Next to not forgetting to breathe.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If she texts a lot and that phone comes with Swype and that's the input method she chooses to use, make sure it comes with Swype version 2.3 instead of 2.8 (typically version numbers go higher as they get newer, but for some reason Swype 2.3 is newer than Swype 2.8) or research a way to root the phone and install 2.3 (not to be confused with Android version 2.3 (Gingerbread)).

I say this because of the annoying "Tips" popup. The more custom words she enters, the more the dictionary remembers and the more if confuses built-in words with custom words and will give custom words priority over more commonly used words.

For example, since I have entered "PS3" into my phone once, it has remembered it and stored it in the dictionary. So now when I try to swype "pay", my phone automatically selects "PS3" since they share the same keys, except for the obvious "a" and "s" keys being separate, but since I have to brush over "s" to get to "a", it still thinks that's what I'm trying to input. So I have to either manually enter p-a-y (which eliminates the convenience of Swype) or sometimes it'll get confused and ask me to select the word I intended on a list of similar keyed words. "PS3" is on the top of that list and has priority over all other words, so when I select "pay" (which is used more often than "PS3" is), I get an annoying pop up saying that I've selected a hidden word. That's annoying enough, but what's more annoying is the fact that with 2.8 and older versions of Swype, you cannot disable this pop up. And the more you enter custom words, the more it pops up. I've had my phone (T-Mobile Vibrant (one of the first phones, if not the first, that offered Swype)) for a year and a half, I text and email a lot, so at this point, my custom dictionary has an extensive list of words and now I have to deal with that popup at least once probably every other text message or email I send. It's beyond extremely annoying and really kills the entire idea of Swype. But, despite 2.3 being available for close to a year now, T-Mobile has done nothing to push the updated software to these phones and it is not available for download from the Android Market.

That might confuse you if you're completely unfamiliar with Swype, but any early adopters of Swype or those still stuck with 2.8 should know exactly what I'm saying. Finally, in version 2.3, you have the option to disable those tips entirely.

Here's an 8 page post on the Swype forums about this: http://forum.swype.com/showthread.php?106-Can-we-choose-to-disable-Swype-tips

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Inc 2 is a good phone. It feels a little cheap. I have the droid x2 right now. I traded my thunderbolt for it because 4g was sucking the life out of the battery, it went from about 12 hours battery life on 3g to 3 hours battery life on 4g. I am trying to trade my x2 for an incredible 2 right now just to have the front facing camera.

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I would go with a Samsung Infuse but that is my personal opinion. However, I have had much better luck with samsung than htc. Personally, I think the Inspire and Evo are great phones. However HTC still has a lot of bugs to work out. Either way, I am glad you are getting a droid, I wouldnt piss on an iphone to put out a fire.

HiImSeth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should mention that I currently have the OG Incredible and did have to send it back a couple of times, but overall have enjoyed it. Also, we're on VZW so EVO, Infuse and some of the others mentioned are not options. Also, she wants an on-screen keyboard so that further limits options. Basically w/ those things and the amount I am willing to spend ($200) leaves us looking at the Droid X2 and the Inc 2. So I naturally lean towards the Inc 2 because I'm familiar with the Inc, HTC/Sense UI.

Good to know you liked the Incredible 2, TSQUARE. Is the battery life quite a bit better than the OG Incredible, or do you know?

Latest posts

Top Bottom