Aunt of thug who was shot invading home "speaks out"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in CLEET way, WAY back in the day, one of our instructors had been in more than one armed encounters. One of the things he said to me stuck as if it was just yesterday.

He said no matter what that dirtbag is doing, no matter who he is with, no matter why he is trying TO KILL YOU he has friends and family that are gonna stand behind him and scream justice at the top of their lungs and say that he was a good boy who just fell into a bad crowd. The policeman that shot and killed him should have just tried to shoot him in the leg or arm or something and not kill him.

That crap only happens in the movies.

As an LEO, I am trained to fire at center mass and not in the arm or leg. Hell, we even added a head shot a few years ago when the bad guys started wearing body armor.

A friend of mine shot and killed a guy several years ago who assaulted him and tried to kill him. He double tapped him in the chest and he dropped dead. Months later, he met up and had a visit with the dead man's mother. After a lengthy (and civil, I might add) conversation, upon his departure, she said, "ya know officer...I will never be able in my heart to forgive you for taking my son's life." The officer said, "yes ma'am, I know...but if I had to do it all over again, I'd do it the exact same way."

And that's the way it goes down. You shoot to kill. The shoot the gun out of the hand and do the knee cap is Hollywood movie rhetoric. I can't imagine LEO training that adds legs to a target for training.
The stupidity of some people amaze me.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In an instance where you feel that you may be in danger of serious bodily harm or death, you shoot to stop the threat. Sometimes, the individual(s) may die as a result of that; but you resort to the use of deadly force in order to stop the threat.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is excusing the actions of the teenagers or has much sympathy for them. But family and friends have just as much right to grieve over the loss of their loved one as anyone else that loses someone close to them.

I'd recommend they grieve privately instead of grieving all over social media and literally blaming the shooter for the death of their criminal friend or family member.

They have something from me, I don't know that I'd call it compassion, but I feel for them, right up to the point where they start blaming the real victim here for the death of their criminally stupid relative. At that point what I feel toward them is disgust.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me tell you dopes something. Until you've lost a loved one during the commission of a crime, you'll never understand the emotions experienced by the family of the deceased. I know it's not easy for the shooter or his family, but at least they're still alive.

Take it easy on the families.

You can't be serious. Are you?

Are you excusing this lady for blaming the victim for her relative's death?

They should be allowed to grieve, they are even allowed to blame the victim for killing their loved one, and they can do it publicly, but when they choose that route, they aren't allowed a free pass. They are going to get called out on it, and it's just as much the right of those people to call her out as it is her right to victim blame.

You want sympathy & respect? Grieve respectfully. Respect begets respect.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Perfect example of what I mentioned........from the aunt of one of the "boys".

i.imgur.com_D4FmFtP.jpg

Notice how she blames the shooter??

Still feel sorry for her??

It's genetic and learned behavior, repetitive from one generation to the next until some event, whether death, incarceration, etc happens before they can have children......it generally will just keep cycling.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Kübler-Ross Five stages of grief as we all are aware, denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. I personally cannot condemn the Aunt for her natural response to the situation as it is totally normal. I simply feel that some things are better left in the privacy of one's own home, shared with loved ones to heal as each individual psyche allows. The information age and Social Media seem to provide a source for some to "voice" their natural responses to grief in a public forum that may or may not be an appropriate venue. I feel the grief of those close to the dead and the guilt they must feel for failing their loved ones, if only in their minds. Society judges, that is what it does. The only way to ensure you are not guided down a hole of greater despair is to keep your grieving process confined within the family unit and not post things that are open to reply from others that certainly feel differently. The victim will suffer from this ordeal, I have yet to hear or read anything that has been posted by him, and that is the way it should be. Taking a life is never easy, much less three lives. I truly hope he gets the help he needs and deserves. Soldiers in combat feel the mental heat after a legitimate kill, I cannot imagine what this young man feels.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But the "media" doesn't belong to anyone, everyone gets to express themselves. It's like they have the protection of some document written in the 18th century by some "enlightened" folks. We don't have to like what they say but we shouldn't suppress their expression.

I'm not even sure it has anything to do with the fact that they're grieving, which is completely understandable. I think it has to do with the loss of a component that seemingly used to exist in our society, shame. Let's say I had a kid who turned sour and got killed during an armed home invasion (because that's really what this was). I'd be torn inside out over it, but I'd do it privately and never speak publicly except to express remorse to the victim. I certainly wouldn't question the actions of a person defending themselves in their own home. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom