Back to work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had nightmares about having to go back to work.

We just had a storage shed (6'x10') built about a week ago, and because we plan to keep a small upright freezer out there, we want to insulate the walls and ceiling and put up something like paneling to keep the insulation in place.

I woke up for the bathroom last night and then stewed about doing that job for the next hour before dropping off to sleep again. So, I guess I had an awake nightmare.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pffftttt....

....in many of my previous jobs, if I got Christmas Day off, I was lucky.

Retirement is great in that I/we can do what we want, and at present, working a summer job getting to see new country is ABSOLUTELY GREAT!!!
You doing the work-camping thing? That looks like a pretty attractive deal.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You doing the work-camping thing? That looks like a pretty attractive deal.

No. We did do some volunteer camp host and managing a retreat and reunion center for a while (two different places), but our current Summer job is doing road and pavement condition surveys in various states. We drive a van with cameras, lasers, and other sensors that give data on the road conditions that then goes to the departments of transportation of the contracted states. I do the driving and the wife operates and monitors anywhere from 4 to 6 computer servers in a rack in the back of the van.

Obviously, the retreat management and RV park camp hosting were as volunteers, but we get paid pretty well with the road surveying.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was retired until the election was stolen with Jo and the Ho in charge. THe economy went to shiiit because of him and his rollbacks etc sot I'm back to a part time job.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was retired until the election was stolen with Jo and the Ho in charge. THe economy went to shiiit because of him and his rollbacks etc sot I'm back to a part time job.
I keep thinking I need to for the same reasons.

Fortunately I’ve had a bunch of small contract work come my way. So depending on how it holds up…..

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I keep thinking I need to for the same reasons.

Fortunately I’ve had a bunch of small contract work come my way. So depending on how it holds up…..

I took this part time job for a couple of reasons -- one, I needed the light to moderate physical activity it offered; 2, I was bored out of my mind being retired; and 3, I do enjoy having that extra money.

Some days I'd rather take a beating than go in but that is mostly because I despise cold weather. It'll be fine after it warms back up this spring. I will probably stay with it until I'm 70 ... Maybe a few years longer. Just depends on how I feel ...

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been out since 58 years old. Dont know how i ever had time for a job. I am 81 & still have projects. Got 3 gallons of acorns going to plant this spring.

Last edited:

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been retired 20 years the 1st of November 2022, and still have dreams about things that frustrated me at work! Then I wake up and feel good that it was only a dream, and I don't even care what happens at work! Retiremnet is GREAT!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been retired for a month now and still trying to adjust to not having anything to do. With having medical disabilities, hunting and fishing opportunities are really limited. Shooting guns everyday would get too expensive quick...
Most everything active wise is limited. I need to find a nitch or purpose again and I'm having issues with that.
But there hasnt been 1 day so far that I wished I had to go to work.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been retired for a month now and still trying to adjust to not having anything to do. With having medical disabilities, hunting and fishing opportunities are really limited. Shooting guns everyday would get too expensive quick...
Most everything active wise is limited. I need to find a nitch or purpose again and I'm having issues with that.
But there hasnt been 1 day so far that I wished I had to go to work.
I have found in 20 years of being retired, that it's the simple things that matter, and are the most enjoyable. I worked shift work, and the simple pleasure of going to bed every night is still a big deal to me! Commenting, and interacting, on here, and other forums, has turned into a hobby for me. I have been kicked off half a dozen sites over my political opinions! Kinda enjoy ruffling their feathers!

Latest posts

Top Bottom