Home owner!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations to both of you on a great task completed.

I did it years ago and then bought another house as a rental and then another and another.
Wife did not like the idea when i bought the first one as a rental.

Today she tells me we should buy another or find acreage. Always looking.
I must say though we are really tight with our spending and longest we ever took to pay off a house was 5 years.

Never had a car payment. That probably helps and no loans other than house.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have financed three vehicles in my life. One I tried justifying by how much it saved in gas. That was a stupid purchase. The second was my work van and it was for my business. Maybe not advised but business was booming and I paid it off in two years. The third was a vehicle we bought from some friends that I was just waiting for an insurance check to come in which I promptly paid off the loan. If I could advise younger people on anything these days it’s just save even a little from each check and put it in a separate savings account and don’t touch it. Don’t finance things because people make so much money off of other people’s debt.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations, we will be paying off ours sometime in the next 8-9 months. Of course in my case my eldest is in her senior year of high school so college tuition will be rearing its ugly head about then. And then my youngest needs a car.......
Same here, kid turns 16 in January so we will be on the hunt for a car. Then 2.5 years to put a little back to help her with college if she decides to go.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mistake. I figured anyone that paid off their house would have never opened a loan on a stealhicle to begin with ;)
Vehicles are liabilities, not assets like a house. Never owe on a vehicle.
depends on the financing -- if you earn more in other investments than the interest on the loan it is almost always better to borrow the money

Latest posts

Top Bottom