Backyard chickens under one acre in OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aren’t you in Bethany though…

Kinda ... It a weird thing -- we have a Bethany address but we live in OKC ... It's a real pain when we need emergency services cuz I get transferred a half dozen times when I've called. It's NUTS! The house could burn down before the dispatcher gets me to the right department. 🙄

commandcomm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the soon to be set new rules for owning OKC chickens you can't let them out of the coop.
So you will be hard pressed to eliminate bugs in the yard unless you have a chicken tractor of big size because
you must supply either 4 or 8 sq ft per bird.
I say 4 or 8 because they typoed that in the rules. Read it.

You can't butcher them outside.
Wow what a mess inside that would be.

Only 6 hens no roosters if I read that right.
Chickens must be in the coop from dusk to dawn. They can be out during the day.

Must have 8 square foot per chicken for outside area and 4 square foot per chicken in the coop.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1643847372524.png

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It'd be quite humorous if a slew of folks employed this, less the then shortage of chicken feed. Then it wouldn't be so funny.

I haven't bought chicken feed in years. Once the girls figured out the neighbor's cat wouldn't mess with them in the dog kennel AND the Hi-Protein dog was easy to get. They eat dog food, would ignore
the chicken scratch.

We are allowed to have up to 25.
1 rooster for every hens.
4 roosters max.

I had 20 hens and 1 very happy rooster.
Neighbor has his Mother visit. She called the City to complain about rooster crowing.
City told her, "that is what roosters do"
She says, "well, I will talk to him myself"
City, "the rooster? If you talk to them owner, he CAN have 4 roosters and he WILL get 3 more."

I coach her son in Little League. She called, laughing about the complaint.

Last edited:

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My GSD herds my chickens but other than that he doesn't mess with them. Dawg could care less about the chickens. The chickens aren't afraid of the dogs either. It's kinda neat to watch them interact ...
That's awesome. Mine is only seven months old so he just might see them as new friends. Probably not but maybe.. lol

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's awesome. Mine is only seven months old so he just might see them as new friends. Probably not but maybe.. lol

I'm not gonna lie. I had to keep a close eye on them (the dogs) and we had some come to Jesus meetings but now these guys would make EXCELLENT farm dogs. I watch them in the back yard and would give my right arm to have an acreage for them to run. But alas ... Grumpy is a city kid ... So ... Here we are. Making do ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom