Backyard chickens under one acre in OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
A dozen eggs cost $2.25 at Aldi the other day. Used to be 75 cents. Another reason to be grateful for Slo-Joe.
Everybody in my country neighborhood is charging 3 bucks or better for a dozen eggs. This is why we buy them at the store. cheaper and easier honestly.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
This goes into effect March 4th. I have 1/5 of an acre, so I’m looking forward to raising a few hens. Does anyone else plan on building a coop and raising a few chickens?

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/new...acre-can-now-raise-chickens-quail/9297392002/
I'm older than dirt, and was raised with free roam chickens in the yard! I still won't go barefoot, not even in the house. I guess this is some type phobia, but just the thought of chicken **** squshing between my toes, gives me chills to this day! That has got to be the creepiest feeling in the world!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm older than dirt, and was raised with free roam chickens in the yard! I still won't go barefoot, not even in the house. I guess this is some type phobia, but just the thought of chicken **** squshing between my toes, gives me chills to this day! That has got to be the creepiest feeling in the world!
You and me both man. :P

I wish I could have a few chickens but Edmond is weird. You have to take a chicken class before you can have them. I would like to have 4 to 6 hens for the eggs and butcher them when they stop laying. Some of the chicken tractors I have seen look like they would work for what I want. Just move it around the yard as needed.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I wish I could have a few chickens but Edmond is weird. You have to take a chicken class before you can have them. I would like to have 4 to 6 hens for the eggs and butcher them when they stop laying. Some of the chicken tractors I have seen look like they would work for what I want. Just move it around the yard as needed.
That’s exactly my plan. Once a hen stops laying I’ll butcher her in my garage since I can’t do it “outside”. lol We plan on getting a chicken tractor in the next week or two.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You seen the movie Avatar ? Bare foot put's you plugged into mother earth. With connectivity you become one. Uummmmmmmmm.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That’s exactly my plan. Once a hen stops laying I’ll butcher her in my garage since I can’t do it “outside”. lol We plan on getting a chicken tractor in the next week or two.
Old birds don't even make a good dog food, they're tough and extremely fatty. If'n you wanted chicken fat you'd be in good shape. Tie the meat strands together and ya might make some rubber bands.lol

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have eaten all my old birds and pressure cooked them or simmered them for a couple hours or more.
Not fatty in the meat and the meat is very dry and chewy.
Wife hates it.
Even cut up fine and made into enchiladas it is still chewy and dry.
Same goes for big Canadian geese.
Shoot the smaller ones I suppose.
8 weeks old or less they are really tasty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom