Be an airline pilot and make big money!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I averaged about $8-10/hr takehome when I was an intern. Sucks, don't it?

Difference is that the average regional pilot has at least 1000 hours of flight time. Not much compared to your typical 747 captain, but hardly an intern either.

And your average intern is not responsible for a multi-million dollar plane and 50 people's lives multiple times each day.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This article outlines, EXACTLY why I had to choose a career in computers over my first true love: flying. Now, I fly for fun and enjoy a decent life, but there was a time when crash pads, red eye hops, and "this is your captain speaking. . . " was the siren song of my youth. I was almost there. . . I even had my first CFI job in the bag and had learned to love ramen noodles. Then the Good Lord blessed me with my first child.

Now instead and talking to ATC every day, I talk with executives about network security and live for the moment I can slide the hangar door open and pull my own bird out to go for a hundred dollar hamburger. I appreciate my salary, but much of what is disposable goes back into aviation now.

Would I change my life trajectory? Nope. Would I have been happy as a professional pilot? You bet your ass.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I wanted to fly professionally about 20 years ago. I'm glad I didn't. I don't have the coolest job in the world, but I'm home every night and every weekend. And if I ever get the urge to fly, there's usually one or two airplanes in the hangar here at the house.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dennis, you should have been in the Army in 1964. Pay was less than $50.00 a month for a Private E-1. Of course my room and board was free. My clothes were given to me. I had free medical and dental, and the Army took out a death insurance policy for me to give my parents when I died. Many people with jobs that young people feel are glamorous are really jobs that you would make more at by shoveling manure. Considering the cost of a college education, many beginning jobs have extremely low wages. you only get the "BIG Bucks" if and when you have worked long enough to be on top of the field. Being a pilot seems great just like I though I would get to see the world in the Army. I did. I saw Vietnam. If you do what you love, you are extremely lucky. And I've talked to a lot of pilot's that tell me the salary is horrible but what the live for is the freedom they feel in the cockpit of and airplane. IF you can do what you love and you'll find a way to make a living.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If only I could find a job then that let me shoot guns, cook awesome food and be surrounded by teddy bears....anyone know of such a thing?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Although they may only be on the clock 21.5 hours per week or 85 hours per month," pilots typically are away from base, and from their families, about 240 to 300 hours per month (or about 60 to 75 hours a week)," according to the Airline Pilots Association.

For the lowest paid pilot on Mesa Airlines, this imbalance works out to $8.50 an hour for a 60-hour work week.

"They have a minimum pay for time on duty at some airlines, like one hour of pay minimum for every two hours on duty, and one hour of pay for every 4-5 hours away from home," Darby says. "These rules are often not in effect at the smaller airlines, and are alway guaranteed by the larger major airlines' union contracts."

One hour of pay for every 4-5 hours away from home? That's a huge, bump. Heck, I'd make a killing if my employer paid me that. I spent 9 of the last 18 months "away from home". LOL.

We all choose our jobs (even if a calling steers you in one direction or another). I'm sorta sick of folks bitching about their pay...fast food workers AND professionals but I know it's just part of human nature.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom