Best .224 projectile for hogs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am hoping to be going on my first hog hunt soon and was thinking of bringing my rifle length AR-15. I have heard that Barnes 55 and 62 grain TSX are very effective but wanted to get some opinions from more experienced folks. Will a heavier HPBT in the 75 or 77 grain weight not work well....? All advice welcome!

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any bullet that will hold together and penetrate will kill a hog. The nosler partition in .22 should do well and I would think any of the Barnes solid copper bullets would do well.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Barnes 62 gr TSX is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dropped me a nice 8 point New year's Eve with one.

Any round placed right will do the job. For hogs I prefer 55 gr FMJ. The penetration is more important than bullet expansion. IMHO.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me begin with this - I've never shot a hog. However - I do have quite a bit of experience with using a .22-250 for deer hunting and a little experience with .223. The Hornady 60 grain bullet has a pretty heavy jacket and will usually shoot through a whitetail deer at .22-250 velocities. The Nosler partition performs well on deer, but I have always been disappointed with the accuracy in my rifle. The Speer 70 grain Spitzer is accurate, but it has a light jacket. I would say it is just a heavy varmint bullet. Can't comment on the Barnes bullets since I haven't tried them, but if I was going hog hunting with a .22 centerfire I would try the 60 grain Hornady if they are available.

Good Luck - Cedar Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom