Best Subcompact

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with these "Best" threads is that it depends on what you're actually asking.

Do you want the most reliable? Then I would personally get a Sig - either a P239 if you want single-stack, or a P290 if you want a mouse-gun, or P228/P229 if you want something a little bigger.

If you're not used to DA/SA triggers, then I would avoid most of Sig's offerings. You'll find that "the best" is subjective to who is shooting it at the time.

Whenever someone asks a question like this, nearly 99% of the responses are fanboy posts about a gun that the person either likes or has owned (even my recommendation was for guns that I own/have owned and loved).

You need to ask yourself what is most important to you in a subcompact:

Reliability?
Narrow width?
Short length/height?
Good grip surface for med/large hands?
Low-recoil/muzzle-flip?
Good sight radius (which usually means longer barrel)?
Low bore-axis?
High-capacity?
Light-weight?
Short/smooth Single or Safe action trigger?
Ease of finding affordable parts/mags?
Ease of finding holsters?

...and so on, and so on...

As far as reliability goes, most of your popular manufacturers are more than reliable enough for CCW (Sig, Glock, HK, Springfield, S&W, Kahr, Walther, etc.), so it really comes down to your preference.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
One thing to beware of also, is that it is not uncommon for even high quality sub compacts to be picky on ammo (particularly long and/or blunt ammo), be sensitive to lint/debris, and/or require a very firm grip.

I have not had a jam yet in my PF-9, but I have strong wrists; my grandpa took his PF-9 out and had several jams in one mag. I'm convinced at his age and health, he just couldn't maintain a firm enough wrist to prevent it from jamming. Another factor in that case was lint/debris. He had been pocket carrying his sans holster, and it had a lot of lint in it. Mine had been cleaned and oiled recently.

Just an FYI if you're coming from something like a Sig, Glock, M&P or such that are nearly impervious to dirt/debris, feed anything that fits in the mag, and otherwise take an act of God to jam.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing to beware of also, is that it is not uncommon for even high quality sub compacts to be picky on ammo (particularly long and/or blunt ammo), be sensitive to lint/debris, and/or require a very firm grip.

I have not had a jam yet in my PF-9, but I have strong wrists; my grandpa took his PF-9 out and had several jams in one mag. I'm convinced at his age and health, he just couldn't maintain a firm enough wrist to prevent it from jamming. Another factor in that case was lint/debris. He had been pocket carrying his sans holster, and it had a lot of lint in it. Mine had been cleaned and oiled recently.

Just an FYI if you're coming from something like a Sig, Glock, M&P or such that are nearly impervious to dirt/debris, feed anything that fits in the mag, and otherwise take an act of God to jam.

Yep, what he said.

Sheepdog380

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a G27, put a Grip Force Adapter and Magazine extension on it. Use it for pocket carry as both Concealed carry off duty and Back up on duty. Love it. The two add ons made it feel even better in my hand.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The problem with these "Best" threads is that it depends on what you're actually asking.

Do you want the most reliable? Then I would personally get a Sig - either a P239 if you want single-stack, or a P290 if you want a mouse-gun, or P228/P229 if you want something a little bigger.

If you're not used to DA/SA triggers, then I would avoid most of Sig's offerings. You'll find that "the best" is subjective to who is shooting it at the time.

Whenever someone asks a question like this, nearly 99% of the responses are fanboy posts about a gun that the person either likes or has owned (even my recommendation was for guns that I own/have owned and loved).

You need to ask yourself what is most important to you in a subcompact:

Reliability?
Narrow width?
Short length/height?
Good grip surface for med/large hands?
Low-recoil/muzzle-flip?
Good sight radius (which usually means longer barrel)?
Low bore-axis?
High-capacity?
Light-weight?
Short/smooth Single or Safe action trigger?
Ease of finding affordable parts/mags?
Ease of finding holsters?

...and so on, and so on...

As far as reliability goes, most of your popular manufacturers are more than reliable enough for CCW (Sig, Glock, HK, Springfield, S&W, Kahr, Walther, etc.), so it really comes down to your preference.

I'd have to agree with EZ on this.
Basically it is a compromise of all those he listed. Just pick the configuration you need.

Nikat, If the gun won't work with lint on it, I'd get a different one that would!

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've looked at the Walther PPS for a subcompact. I still love the HK USPc but if I had to go to the sub, that would be my pick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom