BIble for Men/fathers/husbands suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were far from assholes, just obliviously still slurred speech cant barely stand up drunk. I think we said maybe 8 words to the guys. We really didn't know what was going on until they left. Back in those days it was SOP to just yell come in and lean the recliners back to you could see who was coming in the door....we were young and uninformed.

LOL, I got that. I just want to be able to know the bible better. I am now a first united Methodist. and get very intimidated around my current crowd as they can just about all give direct quotes from the bible.

I love the Westleyans. Just pick that book up and show that book who's boss. Act mysterious. You know as much about it as they do.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever bible, you get, also get "Point Man" By Steve Ferrar. It's the closest thing you will find for a handbook for a husband a father. If you can't find one, PM me your address and I will mail you a copy. For free.

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just want to be able to know the bible better. I am now a first united Methodist. and get very intimidated around my current crowd as they can just about all give direct quotes from the bible.

Hey Streak....Im a Methodist (and about as Weslyean/Arminian as they come)....I'm also a relatively new believer (prob within the past 10 yrs). I too felt very intimidated by the "scripture quoters". It will come with time if you are reading/studying the Bible. It just happens. Don't sweat it. The fact you are wanting to learn more is awesome and you will become very comfortable with it soon. Ignert is right, don't let them intimidate you.

Besides the Bible (and you can pick which one makes the most sense to you. I use both the NRSV and The Message for different flavors and understanding), check out a guy named Matt Chandler (specifically "The Explicit Gospel") and a dude named Francis Chan (Crazy Love)...These guys (not Methodist) are really really good!

Hope this helps....

kalstrand

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the Bible Timeline in the Great Adventure Bible Study series but the DVD companion set is expensive. It would lose a bit without the DVD but would still be a good as long as you don't mind that its Catholic.

It breaks the bible down into a chronological reading order and only includes the narrative books. It has a chart that accompanies it that shows where in the narrative the rest of the books fit. For example you read Genesis, Exodus, skip Leviticus, and read Numbers. While you don't cover the entire bible in the series it is a very good start and gives you a good foundation going forward.

jonah7

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll second the ESV Study Bible, and also put in a word for the Reformation Study Bible (though some of the content might tweak your Methodist friends, theologically speaking). It does a great job of explaining the meaning of difficult passages and giving you historical background which makes it easier to understand. There's a lot of "ancient slang" that's hard to pick up for first-time readers. All the best to you!

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever bible, you get, also get "Point Man" By Steve Ferrar. It's the closest thing you will find for a handbook for a husband a father. If you can't find one, PM me your address and I will mail you a copy. For free.

I will check it out thanks!

Thanks for those suggestions also.

Okay, that is just cool

Hey Streak....Im a Methodist (and about as Weslyean/Arminian as they come)....I'm also a relatively new believer (prob within the past 10 yrs). I too felt very intimidated by the "scripture quoters". It will come with time if you are reading/studying the Bible. It just happens. Don't sweat it. The fact you are wanting to learn more is awesome and you will become very comfortable with it soon. Ignert is right, don't let them intimidate you.

Besides the Bible (and you can pick which one makes the most sense to you. I use both the NRSV and The Message for different flavors and understanding), check out a guy named Matt Chandler (specifically "The Explicit Gospel") and a dude named Francis Chan (Crazy Love)...These guys (not Methodist) are really really good!

Hope this helps....

Thanks, it does help. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has been intimidated. I appreciate the helpful and encouraging comments.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you everybody, I will check these out and see which one seems to fit my needs best. I really appreciate all the suggestions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom