Blown out .308 cases / oversized chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm using Lee case lube. I can only get the case about 1/2 way in the die, at that point it's skinning quite a bit of metal off the sides. It doesn't seem to be etching as its uniform all the way around. It is definitely a 308 win die. (stamped on top)

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm using Lee case lube. I can only get the case about 1/2 way in the die, at that point it's skinning quite a bit of metal off the sides. It doesn't seem to be etching as its uniform all the way around. It is definitely a 308 win die. (stamped on top)

I think there may be something wrong with your sizing die. Brass is malleable. When exposed to the force a press generates, it will generally bend or "yield", not sheer. Does the internal die body surface have rough edges or imperfections on it?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I would say it is your sizing die. There is something most definitely wrong. Half-way in you should not even be filling resistance yet. Maybe that's why they were in a pawn shop! If they are RCBS, they should stand behind them. I would be making a telephone call.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Know anyone you can borrow a set of dies from? If you're only going to shoot those rounds out of your gun only, if it were me, I would buy a neck sizing die instead of a full length die, if you you decide to purchase new dies.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll see about getting another sizing die. I may call RCBS, but being that they came from a pawn shop, I may just consider it a lesson learned. That being said, I've bought tons of used dies before and usually don't have problems.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
theres half a case broke off in the die.
does the die appear to be factory length and not shortened by somebody for a wildcat.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll see about getting another sizing die. I may call RCBS, but being that they came from a pawn shop, I may just consider it a lesson learned. That being said, I've bought tons of used dies before and usually don't have problems.

I wouldn't discount RCBS customer service. I talked to a guy who bought an old almost worn out Rock Chucker at an garage/estate sale. Well, he called RCBS to order replacement parts for it and RCBS sent him all the parts he needed for free.

It's almost like buying used Snap-On or Craftsman tools if it breaks they'll still replace them.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That die has a problem. I have seen many cases that folks had tried to force into undersized (wrong) dies. Every time they ended up with a stuck case. I have not seen one time where it resulted in metal being shaved off the case.
Do you have any friends that reload 308 that could try resizing one of your cases with their dies?

Michael

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm kinda in agreement that it probably has the top half of a case stuck in it. If you can look at the die from the bottom with a bright light you may be able to see it. Can you remove the expander/decapping stem? if not, that is most likely what the problem is. You may have to screw the decapper all the way into and through the die to get it out if there is a case neck in the die. I have sucessfully recovered two dies that were in that condition by using a small piece of brass rod ground nearly flat on one side and sharpened to drive in between the case and the die. DON'T use anything but brass for that operation or you will scar the die. If you can't get it out and it is stuck in there, PM me and I'll see if I can help. Blitzfike

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm kinda in agreement that it probably has the top half of a case stuck in it. If you can look at the die from the bottom with a bright light you may be able to see it. Can you remove the expander/decapping stem? if not, that is most likely what the problem is. You may have to screw the decapper all the way into and through the die to get it out if there is a case neck in the die. I have sucessfully recovered two dies that were in that condition by using a small piece of brass rod ground nearly flat on one side and sharpened to drive in between the case and the die. DON'T use anything but brass for that operation or you will scar the die. If you can't get it out and it is stuck in there, PM me and I'll see if I can help. Blitzfike

I'll disassemble it when I get home tonight and take a look. I've got a couple of locksmith shops worth of brass at my disposal so I can probably come up with something to get a stuck case out with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom