Blown out .308 cases / oversized chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely not a stuck case. I pulled the die apart and it looks like it's catching on the lip before it ever makes it inside the die. I tried rounding the lip off and it didn't help... I think I need another die.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely not a stuck case. I pulled the die apart and it looks like it's catching on the lip before it ever makes it inside the die. I tried rounding the lip off and it didn't help... I think I need another die.

You should call RCBS they might repair or replace the die for you. Its worth a call or email to them.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So now what are you going to do with the dies? I would call RCBS, and let them take a look at it. They have awesome customer service, whether you are the original owner or not, they stand behind their products. If they can fix or replace the die, then you have a set that you can A) set up for a second load in your gun and not have to re-adjust B) can sell the set and recoup your intial investment. Either way, it makes not difference to RCBS, they just don't want their product out there with a problem, that might give someone a bad taste in their mouth.

I would give RCBS a chance to help solve the problem, once and for all.

RCBS Operations
605 Oro Dam Blvd
Oroville, CA 95965
1-800-533-5000
email us at rcbs.tech[at]atk.com

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a set of "new" RCBS dies at a shop in the city. Got them home and threw them into the die drawer. When I got around to using them I found that they had been returned. The decapping stem was bent, the pin broken and they had used vise grips to tighten it down as the nut was gouged something awful. The dies themselves were undamaged and pristine. So I emailed RCBS gave them the story and asked for part numbers to order a whole new neck expander assembly. I got a response back within an hour that they were being mailed to me that day at no charge. Lesson learned, open them up and look at them in the store.

I've had fantastic luck with Dillon, RCBS, Redding and Hornady's customer service. Redding even polished one of their most excellent profile crimp dies a little bigger for me so I could use cast bullets for no charge. Seems that Dillon has set the standard that they all play by.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So now what are you going to do with the dies? I would call RCBS, and let them take a look at it. They have awesome customer service, whether you are the original owner or not, they stand behind their products. If they can fix or replace the die, then you have a set that you can A) set up for a second load in your gun and not have to re-adjust B) can sell the set and recoup your intial investment. Either way, it makes not difference to RCBS, they just don't want their product out there with a problem, that might give someone a bad taste in their mouth.

I would give RCBS a chance to help solve the problem, once and for all.

RCBS Operations
605 Oro Dam Blvd
Oroville, CA 95965
1-800-533-5000
email us at rcbs.tech[at]atk.com

I'll send them an email and see what they want to do about it. I was concerned I would have to send the original die back and waste an hour at the post office. Since the shell holder was good, I just bought a set of the Lee "RGB" dies. Loaded some ammo today and deprimed/sized about 250 rounds of old military stuff. I got lucky and when I got the mower out a few weeks ago I discovered a ton of old milsurp brass I had been stockpiling and forgot about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom