Blue Dot Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEEPr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 5lb jug of Blue Dot powder that was bought in 1997. It's been stored inside it's whole life. How do I tell if it is bad, or hopefully it is good. I don't have a use for it and I would like to sell it. What are some of the tell tale signs of bad powder? Thanks!
JEEPr

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had some Blue Dot longer than that (probably about 17 years old) and it's still good.

Look at it. Does it look gray like powder should? Smell it; does it smell like gunpowder should? If the answers to both questions are yes, I would consider it good.

csiedmond1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had some blue dot in a cardboard container, cap tight for a number of yrs. Tried to load some .45 acp rounds and they would not fire clean or consistent...

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother gave me some in the cardboard container along with some green dot and unique.
It's all worked very good, but it has been taken care of. All the containers still look new.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This question got me thinking and worrying a little. So I went to the internet and gleaned the following:
Smell- does it have the proper gunpowder smell - like solvents (ether, alcohol, acetone)? If it doesn't and/or smells sour or is clumping then it's probably bad.
Properly stored gunpowder - sealed to keep dry and no excessive heat - should last 80 years.
http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11654

Latest posts

Top Bottom