Blue Dot Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm, strange then, I don't know. There are many variables in my experience that could cause problems, being cold/hot cycled, being in a possibly moist enviroment(garage)? I personally, unless it is the powder I am using currently, store powder in a I beleive it was an artilery box- like the 30 cal ammo boxes, but larger, I can get 7-8 pounds in it if I am willing to store them on their side. I could probablye get 3-8 pound jugs in it(I don't buy that much at a time though).
--Mech

IMO stored in an ammunition container that is close to being water tight with a dessicant bag is a very good way store powder and primers(diffent boxes).

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll bet your Blue Dot is just fine!

Powder seems to last for decades when stored at a cool (even cold) temperature. What causes powder to degrade is hot temps, like storage in a non-temp controlled outbuilding. A non-temp controlled garage is as bad or worse.

The military has stored its ammo in partly underground bunkers for many years. The powder for the 16" shells fired in Gulf War I from the battleship were vintage WWII; about 50 years old.

Even in a temp controlled room, there will be hotter and colder spots. Usually nearer the floor is cooler in most homes.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blue Dot has changed somewhat over the years. I noticed that some of the loading data is dangerous with some of the
newer lots. Try to match laod data with the time frame that the powder was manufactured. Here is the data from Alliant
41 mag was one of the applications I used blue dot for. Blitzfike

Alliant Blue Dot Powder Warning

« on: August 13, 2008, 08:50:41 am »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alliant Powder periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that our recommended recipes have not changed over time.

During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:

Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/safety/safetynotice.htm

Latest posts

Top Bottom