Boar/Hog hunting questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Total noob to it, but me and a friedn want to go. Father passed away when I was young, before he could pass on the knowledge and skillls needed to hunt, thankfully, on the gun part I was covered. So, what caliber/equipment will I need? Any tactics or need to know info? Where to go? I have access to land in Davis, and SE Oklahoma, around Nashoba/Clayton.

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Total noob to it, but me and a friedn want to go. Father passed away when I was young, before he could pass on the knowledge and skillls needed to hunt, thankfully, on the gun part I was covered. So, what caliber/equipment will I need? Any tactics or need to know info? Where to go? I have access to land in Davis, and SE Oklahoma, around Nashoba/Clayton.

I started hog hunting last year, but got serious about it this year. I only hunt them on public land. I shot 4 today. I use different tactics based on terrain, time of year, pressure and food/water source. Today I looked for FRESH sign (rooting, droppings, etc). I determined the direction of travel (ALWAYS use the wind to your favor). I stalked until I was on them, and then took that sure shot. They will scatter, but wait and be patient, they will regroup. I continued stalking until I was on them again….repeat. I stalked this group today for 1-1/2 miles, and got on them 4 times. 5 shots/4 kills. The original group had 8 hogs, all black, with the largest boar shot weighing about 175lbs with 2" tusks. When I quit for the day, the group was cut in half. On the long walk back to the vehicle, I crossed a creek and there was a well eaten deer carcass. To my surprise, it had a real nice 9 point rack. I had to remove the skull and drag it home too.

I mainly hunt hogs with pistols. I have killed them with a 460, 44mag, 45ACP. Today I tried my new 308 rifle and brought along the G21. Three of the hogs today were shot with the 308 at 130yds, 100yds, 75yds. One was shot with the G21 at 24yds. I used factory 180grain soft point in the 308 (I need to experiment with hand loads), and I used 200grain lead SWC hand loads in the G21. I have used 200grain XTP hand loads, and factory Hornady in the 460, 240grain XTP hand loads in the 44mag. These are by no means the best way to go; it is only what I have experienced so far with good results. Earlier this year I remember shooting a 230lb hog in the head, with the 460 at 40 yards, using a Hornady factory loaded 200grain XTP. It dropped straight, but what surprised me was that the bullet did not exit. I will try some heavy lead hand loads and compare the results. I mean, the result was good, but if for that rare occasion when we need bone crushing penetration to stop that charging 450lb hog, I would like to have a hand load for it.

I might add that they really are not as hard to kill as some stories would have us believe. I am referring to the “plate of armor”. I have very good results with shot placement in the ear, and front shoulder. Today all hogs dropped within 10 feet of where they were hit.

Three is the most hogs that I have shot in one day…….until today.

Read up on their habits and take to the woods planning to do a lot of walking and observing. Days like we have had the past week are perfect to get on hogs. Black hogs contrast snow very nice. Bring your binoculars with you. The more you hunt them, the better you will get at beating them in their own backyard. They taste good too. Good luck.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another noob with questions. Is an AR with a 60-70 grain round too small for hogs? If not, can you only use a five round mag or can you carry a full mag?

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another noob with questions. Is an AR with a 60-70 grain round too small for hogs? If not, can you only use a five round mag or can you carry a full mag?

If you can place the bullet in the right spot, it'll work just fine. You cannot use a magazine larger than 7 rounds if it is a .22 caliber rifle.

toe

Latest posts

Top Bottom