Boar/Hog hunting questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what caliber should I look at? If I go with a rifle I would like it do doubleduty as a deer rifle. I do have a 12 gauge that handles slugs ok.

Matt N.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoy shooting hogs with my Marlin 1895 45/70. It puts them right down without messing up much meat; it's a darn good deer rifle too.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Hogs may be taken on lands owned or managed by teh Department during an established hunting season(s) with methods authorized for those lands and season(s)." In deer archery season, you're supposed to be hunting hogs with deer archery equipment. In deer muzzleloader season, you're supposed to be hunting hogs with deer muzzleloading equipment. Now, the big loophole (if you want to call it that) is that you can hunt coyotes year-round. The OK hunting regs say that you can hunt coyotes with any legal firearm or archery equipment. I read that to refer back to the only place that I can find a legal firearm defined in the OK huntings regulations...which is under the legal means of taking section for deer firearms season. Now, if you want to take the chance with your 30 round magazine hunting hogs on public land, by all means go for it. Is it "foolishness" to stick with the 7 round magazine? Maybe so. I'm just stating how I interpret the regulations. If there are doubts, call the ODWC and ask them.

toe

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you suggest the regulations says when you are not in any kind of deer season? If there is no deer season going on at the time you are hunting, are you suggesting those statements still apply? I think if you are hunting hogs during deer season you best follow the rules of that season. However, if you are hunting hogs and it is not during a deer season, then you just have to follow the general regulations, which do not include a limitation on magazine size.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most times if you contact the biologist for the WMA or the local warden they will help you put down some hogs. Let them know what weapon you are using and clip size and they should be fine with it. Most want the hogs thinned out at all costs

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, 7 round magazine issue settled. I e-mailed the OCWC and according to Capt. Deckard, the 7 round magazine issue only applies to deer regulations. So, egg on my face right about now. When you're wrong, you're wrong. Regardless, it's good to know.

toe

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, 7 round magazine issue settled. I e-mailed the OCWC and according to Capt. Deckard, the 7 round magazine issue only applies to deer regulations. So, egg on my face right about now. When you're wrong, you're wrong. Regardless, it's good to know.

toe

Good thing you were wrong cause I hunt with a game warden quite often and always use a 20 rd mag in my ar calling coyotes and I believe he does too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom