Brass reloading question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been reloading for 40yrs ............ stick by my original post. Am sure there are those who have done it, I have done a few things I probably shouldn't have and it definitely wasn't recommended, I just got away with it. In a SHTF situation, found a stash of aluminum cases, I may reload them, but it will be a long time before I run out of brass and have to consider that scenario.

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figured I would get responses from both sides of the coin. I have plenty of brass and will continue to load them and inspect each time too. But I have also shot a lot of aluminum cased in the past and have it thrown it boxes. Just was wanting to hear some discusion on the facts. Now of course in a SHTF senerio I would not only load it but shoot it too.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many of you people here that say do not reload it, have ever reloaded it?????
Or are you all sheep..?
All ammo cases can fail.
Had a buddy here saturday and i was showing him the aluminum cases...Notice the flare on the aluminum case..that is too much flair.
Over working the case.....now that aluminum case i allowed him to flare to get the feel of it..It has been fired 3 times.
Notice the brass winchester case on the right in the pic..It has been fired 4 times....always below max loads..NOTICE the split in the brass case....Only one that split in the entire bunch that i shot sunday...That load was 4.5gr bullseye and 200gr cast bullet.
Maybe a week spot maybe a stress riser... View attachment 27501

Nope, I'm not a sheeple...I've been reloading probably some hundreds of thousands of rounds for 30 years now, both semi-auto and revolver.

Yep, I've had brass and nickel spilt, of course...anyone who reloads and shoots as much as I have will have split necks and possibly a split side.

The manufacturer themselves tell you not to reload aluminum.

Can you do it?

Yep, just like a number of other things that the manufacturer tells you not to, and you may or may not get away with it.

I'm not a sheeple for taking the advice of experts and manufacturers of powder, bullets, primer and cases...are YOU a sheeple because you don't pack unsafe amounts of powder into a case?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some manufactures tell you not to take the gun apart to clean it. Send it back to have it cleaned.
Some manufactures state,, do not shoot reloads in their guns, if you do warranty is void (savage)

Correct I do not pack unsafe amounts of of powder into cases..But what determines unsafe amounts?
It is not always the book that determines the unsafe amount..You must look at the case and the overall aspects of the gun.
Then many more variables like bullet characteristics and powder and primer type.

How do they come up with this "SAFE" load for a specific case...By measuring pressures and by trial and error...

Some cases are loaded to higher pressures than others...HHHMMM maybe because they are built different..
Just like aluminum is different.

Save yourself some trial and error and send all your aluminum cases to me and i will dispose of them properly.
Never shoot reloaded ammo as it could mess up your gun..and please send all guns back to the manufactures to have them properly disassembled and cleaned... no one should attempt this at home.
Ya'll have fun I gotta go make some monies

bearpaws

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its just that the metals specific properties make it suitable for a specific purpose. You can stretch/form brass alot and anneal it it will perform for you.
Just try to stretch/form aluminum more than once/one way. Some will break into aluminum dust.
Heat hardens aluminum as in firing explosive propellant being touched off by a flame thrower primer.
Stretch kills the cases

Latest posts

Top Bottom