Brass vs Steel in AR-15s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of AR-15s. I love to shoot them, but I am not a pro. I just shoot for fun. I have had several other ARs in the past that I shot steel cased ammo threw. I never had a problem. A few years back I had some AR shooters who had been shooting them alot longer then me and they know more about them then me tell me to never shoot steel cased ammo in my AR. They said it will break off the ejector. I have only shot brass in the guns I have now, but I see some good deals on steel ammo. I have also talked to people who shoot steel ammo all the time in their ARs and have no problem.
What is the deal with this? Should I only shoot brass and if so, why?
Thank you.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your gun runs on it go for it. If an ext wears early it is an easy fix. Might as well shoot steel and shoot more for the same price.

TJohn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two Smith & Wesson MP15's that each have about a thousand rounds through them. I have shot steel cased monarch, silver bear and wolf exclusively through one and exclusively brass through the other and I can't tell ten cents difference between the extractor and ejector on either one. Even if it wears your extractor and ejector, what is it, a Ten Dollar fix? Your mileage may vary.

I think the real problem with shooting steel is if you shoot steel and brass in the same session you may be more likely to get stuck cases if you shoot steel followed by brass without cleaning your chamber. However, I have not mixed brass and steel in one outing with anything other than Glock pistols, and have had no problems, but they don't seem to have as tight as tolerances as AR's.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read on other boards that didn't recommend steel on steel in the AR's.
Steel cased ammo inside a steel chamber causing excessive wear. I've shot it in mine and didn't have any problems. (yet).

There have also been complaints that the russian ammo shoots dirty and the quality control isn't that good.

The early Russian Wolf ammo was steel cased and laquer coated which caused problems. If the shooter fired full-auto or rapid fire the laquer would melt and gum up the chamber.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
an extractor is alot cheaper to replace than shooting all brass anyway, so whats the big deal if it does wear em out. in which case i run alt of steel thru both mine without ever a single prob

Latest posts

Top Bottom