Brass vs Steel in AR-15s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Wolf 62gr that I've been shooting is plenty accurate for me... I'm hitting a 6" steel gong at 400 yards with it consistently. For half the price of brass, I'll gladly shoot the Wolf. Put a few thousand rounds through my AR's with no issues.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI, you won't notice a difference in your barrel extension at 1000 rounds. It will (according to what I've read - I've got no personal experience with this first hand) wear the barrel extension out at 1000-2000 earlier than a normal barrel will go - which really depends on which manufacturer you're using as far as barrels - some won't make it to 5000 rounds anyways, others will go to over 10,000 rounds without much loss in accuracy.

I did however, just find out that what Sumo said was true because Steve Baldwin can replace a barrel extension for a very reasonable price (and I honestly didn't know he did that sort of thing - I've used him for bolt-guns a lot, but never thought to ask him about barrel extensions on an AR-15).

So with that said, shoot steel until you've killed your chamber/barrel-extension and upgrade it for a little bit of money... rinse... and repeat!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They say a chrome-lined chamber helps, but I think that mostly comes into play on rifles that see a lot of use between cleanings, like full autos and whatnot. The paint on the case does leave a little residue behind in a hot chamber, but its nothing to worry about as long as you clean your chamber after going through a few hundred rounds. I imagine you would start having extraction problems after shooting 1000 or so if you never cleaned it. I have a few friends who shoot mostly steel stuff out of their ARs with regular, non-chrome lined chambers and bores, and they've never had any reliability problems. Neither did I when I had an AR. Like everybody said, ARs have some of the cheapest spare parts around, so its not really an issue. you save more than enough buying a half case of steel cased ammo to pay for an extractor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom