BREAKING NEWS: ATF just dropped a bomb. No more shouldering braces, AR pistols etc..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSant12345

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently this goes with all way you can misuse your guns....shouldering your AR15 pistol, bump firing your guns to simulate a full auto and so on. Heck, by their definition use holding the front of the AR15 pistol is illegal. I mean, why wouldn't it be. You're "redesigning" the weapon and that's against the AFT rules now.

Where's the Republican politicians now? NRA where you at? They damn near made half the things you do with your guns illegal. By their definition of "redesign" if you shoot fast enough you made a class 3 weapon that's "redesigned" into a class 3 weapon.

The pistol stabilizing brace was neither “designed” nor approved to be used as a shoulder stock,
and therefore use as a shoulder stock constitutes a “redesign” of the device because a possessor
has changed the very function of the item. Any individual letters stating otherwise are contrary
to the plain language of the NFA, misapply Federal law, and are hereby revoked.
https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/f...ter_on_the_redesign_of_stabilizing_braces.pdf

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

... any person who redesigns a stabilizing brace for use as a shoulder stock makes a NFA ...

... any person who intends to use a handgun stabilizing brace as a shoulder stock on a pistol ...

I thought the letter is very clear - don't redesign the brace into a shoulder stock. If you bought a brace to use as a brace - good for you. If you bought a brace to break the law and make an illegal NFA - you gonna get caught and go to jail.

Same as always - intent matters.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
P.S. Anyone who spends $130+ dollars on a "looks-like-SBR" gizmo instead of spending $200 and building an actual SBR needs their head checked any way ... and looks like they sell about 20-30 of them on eBay per hour.

Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought the letter is very clear - don't redesign the brace into a shoulder stock. If you bought a brace to use as a brace - good for you. If you bought a brace to break the law and make an illegal NFA - you gonna get caught and go to jail.

Same as always - intent matters.
Exactly how I read it. Still legal as a pistol brace, just don't shoulder the darn thing.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Be interesting to see if somebody challenges this NFA designation in court arguing that per the Heller decision shouldering an ATF approved pistol stabilizing has become a common use(due primarily to the ATF's previous determination allowing the shouldering of pistol stabilizing braces) and is not subject to the NFA:

. United States v. Miller, 307 U. S. 174 , does not limit the right to keep and bear arms to militia purposes, but rather limits the type of weapon to which the right applies to those used by the militia, i.e., those in common use for lawful purposes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom