BREAKING NEWS: ATF just dropped a bomb. No more shouldering braces, AR pistols etc..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so the one ATF link I read is all about 80% receivers. Wtf does that have to do with it. Anybody got a good link to the Sig brace issue?

Edit:

Never mind. I see the link in the first one.

I read it. Don't see any reference to shouldering a pistol tube, or bump firing, or anything other than shouldering a Sig brace though.

Guess I'm gonna have to save up my gun money for stamp money, or just stay a pistol with a tube. It was that way long before the SB15 came along.

To answer your question as to where is the NRA to help with this? This is more of a little guy issue, imo. Compare the number of Sig brace owners to the number of gun owners all together. NRA doesn't typically help the little guy.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right. Now watch a bunch of idiots write letters to ATF about this and they will then say you have to register your pistol as an AOW if you want to shoot it 2 handed.

This whole mess came about because folks couldn't leave well enough alone. IMHO this Sig Brace debacle came about because of:

All the letters written to ATF asking if it was really OK to shoulder it.
The thousands of pictures/videos all over the net showing it used as a stock.
Some of the ads for these saying it was a "legal" way to have an SBR without needing paperwork.
All of the posts on multiple forums with folks talking about what a great stock it was.

^^^ Exactly. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that they just went and "revoked" all the previous letters as retribution for the incessant inquiries.

And for those that think the Sig Brace is dumb, it was about the only way to get an "SBR" in some states because they don't allow class 3 stuff everywhere. Also, get caught taking your registered SBR across state lines without permission and let us know how it works out. It was a means to get to play in a portion of the class 3 playground that some couldn't play on. Key word is "was"...

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My comment was in reference to the ATF ruling, and not the guns and ammo article. I'm still not buying a brace, but my position is still its legal as long as you don't intend to shoulder it. If something is on the market, people will figure out a way to misuse it to skirt a law. People will shoulder an AR pistol with just the tube on it, its still legal to own an AR pistol though. But, by the ATFs recent definition, by shouldering it with the tube you have now "redesigned" the weapon. It all goes back to intent.
I understand. I included your quote to add the context for the quote that followed it that appeared to be unaware of the new ruling.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every time I read the ATF letter my brain hurts so bad. Only in the convoluted mind of a Federal bureaucrat can something be "redesigned" by merely misusing it or using it in a manner not originally intended by the designer of the item. I guess that means that if I use a ratchet wrench handle to drive a brad I have redesigned it into a hammer, or when my Dad used a pair of diagonal wire cutters to clip his toenails, he redesigned the cutters into toenail clippers!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every time I read the ATF letter my brain hurts so bad. Only in the convoluted mind of a Federal bureaucrat can something be "redesigned" by merely misusing it or using it in a manner not originally intended by the designer of the item. I guess that means that if I use a ratchet wrench handle to drive a brad I have redesigned it into a hammer, or when my Dad used a pair of diagonal wire cutters to clip his toenails, he redesigned the cutters into toenail clippers!

You pretty much nailed it. Double speak rules the rule makers.

electriccowboy

Marksman
Reaction score
what I see here is a open letter from Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division (FATD) with no letterhead on it.
also I find no open letter on the ATF gov. site over this.
This looks like some thing that one needs to look over and investigate before one gets to up in arms about it.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom